Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation
Default Additional lighting

I need to increase my lighting on my 28 by 18 by 18 tank. I currently run my SWC LED fixture that I have been running for the last year plus on both this tank and my 20g. Its not just enough spread or punch for this tank, which is all sps.

Looking to add something or even replace it. Does the AI unit that sells at $420 include its controller or do I need to still buy that?

Or any other suggestions. I may just order another unit from SWC
Old 06-20-2012, 12:14 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

a Sol would definitely do the trick (controller sold separately).....you could also think about the Ecoxotic stunner strips....I've heard good things about them and they come in a bunch of different colors
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
a Sol would definitely do the trick (controller sold separately).....you could also think about the Ecoxotic stunner strips....I've heard good things about them and they come in a bunch of different colors
Would it work from my old RK2 Doug, or whats the controllers purpose besides colour and intensity control? I was thinking of the stunner strips to.
Thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 04:14 AM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

Controller is about 70-80 Dollars extra,

If you do plan on buying one - Someone is selling a Controller in Buy/Sell might be able to pick it up from them used?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:24 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

I think a SOL would do the trick just hang it a bit higher, they are compatible with a few controllers maybe pm martin
Old 06-20-2012, 12:56 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I need to increase my lighting on my 28 by 18 by 18 tank. I currently run my SWC LED fixture that I have been running for the last year plus on both this tank and my 20g. Its not just enough spread or punch for this tank, which is all sps.
which light from SWC are you running doug? have you thought about getting a second light of the same type?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
which light from SWC are you running doug? have you thought about getting a second light of the same type?

Steve

This one Steve. I think its a good unit for $400. Served me well so far but just not enough for my tank.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Looks identical to the eshine I ran on my 15g nano, definitely go with a sol blue, you'll love being able to slowly ramp up/down and it should he enough to keep your sps, you may also want to change the lenses to 70* so you can get greater spread!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I believe the SWC LED light you have is 60W of cree, the sol is 72W of cree. You may not gain very much by switching them unless you bought two sols. A better option would probably be something along the lines of Panorama Pro LED Modules. Adding four of these to your existing light would bring you up to 136W and cost less than a sol.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I believe the SWC LED light you have is 60W of cree, the sol is 72W of cree. You may not gain very much by switching them unless you bought two sols. A better option would probably be something along the lines of Panorama Pro LED Modules. Adding four of these to your existing light would bring you up to 136W and cost less than a sol.

Yes thats the unit Steve. If I purchased an sol, it would be to run with it perhaps, as an additional unit. Should have plenty of light then. Three Pros and power supply is around $325 and four as you suggest would be more than the sol cost which is at $399. Plus the controller, unless my RK2 would work.