Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-30-2012, 02:49 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road
Default What's wrong with my fish?

I've had this scott fairy wrasse for a couple months now. Last night, when I was feeding the fishes, I noticed that one of his eyes is not normal. It looks bulgy and glassy. He was fine all along. Can you tell me what that is or what's causing it? Is that normal? Is it contagious? How do I cure him? Thanks.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/c...ent=wrasse.jpg
Sorry for the crappy phone pic. I took it this morning when the light is out.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Hard to tell the cause. Bacterial infection maybe. I had a queen angel that popped an eye. I kept water quality up and it eventually returned to normal.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:01 PM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

+1 on pop eye. There is a medication treatment for fish with pop eye but you will have to quarantee the little guy for it. Check out your LFS to see if they can get the medication for you.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

probally scratched his eye on something

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

yeah pop Eye or cloud one or the 2, my cichlids have gotten it before, I usually treat it with Kanaplex, as well as melafix, but I'm not sure if that for saltwater as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

My snowflake moray has pretty poor eye sight and occasionally damages its eye in this way. I won't medicate my display tank and trying to catch the 2' eel would be too much disruption so I always just leave it to heal on its own. Within a few weeks to a month its fine again. Offer it a good diet and keep your water quality up like Aquattro suggested.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 PM

George is on a distinguished road

One popping eye usually due to either 2 of these causes 1. physical trauma(eye scratching to a hard surface). 2. bacterial or viral infection. If you have a QT, it's better to put the fish in QT and treat it there. For physical trauma, you probably don't need to do anything special. Some people like to use epsom salt in QT for this treatment. Epsom salt doesn't cure anything. It just eases the pain.
For bacterial or viral infection, you will need to dose with respective medicine. Either way, antibiotic is a good idea because even with physical damage, there is a good chance of causing secondary infection.
Good luck.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:33 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the responses guys! I don't have a QT, however, I am in the process of setting up my nanocube (28G). I can use it as a QT but it might be too small. Also, if I treat him with medication, what medication do I use?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 PM

George is on a distinguished road

28 G is perfect for a QT. Go to a grocery store and buy a box of epsom salt and go to your LFS and buy a box of maracyn-2 and a seachem ammonia badge. Those will come handy even you don't need them now.
If the QT is not cycled already, you need to do water change more often and watch for ammonia.
Add epsom salt at one tsb per gallon of water to the QT. Epsom salt is pretty harmless so some people add up to 4 tsb per gallon. Start low and increase it up to 4tsb per gallon over a period of one week. If you do water change, make sure to add epsom salt back. Watch the eye to see if it's getting any better. If it's not getting better in 2 weeks, use maracyn-2 according to dosage on the box. Let me know if it's still not working after 2 treatments of maracyn-2. We may need to treat it for fungus and what not.
Good luck.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:05 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

if its just one eye, then its likely not pop eye..... pop eye is a condition that usually effects both eyes.....its more likely that he scratched it on something.....moving him now will just be another stress....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694