Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Skinner is on a distinguished road
Default Need some advice please?

As the topic says I need some advice on moving my 90gal tank to a new house I just purchased. It is only across town but I already have a bad feeling about it. I'm planing on setting up a 30gal or so, get it running about a week before I move my 90 so I can put my fish in it for the time that I'm moving. My questions are should I replace my sand or just slide the tank onto some plywood and carry it with the sand in the tank? Can I keep the inverts and the live rock in the same rubbermaids with a heater and some flow while I set the tank back up? I also was thinking that this would be the perfect time to rescape my tank and was wondering if I could just add cured live rock or base rock that I buy at the LFS or would that be a bad idea. I am hoping I can do all this without triggering a new cycle. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much for the help.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 PM

shootingstar is on a distinguished road

Replace the sand with new but keep a cup or two of the old sand to seed the new.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've always kept my sand. As long as it stays mostly intact, you'll be fine. Unless you have a really deep sandbed, carrying it in tank should be fine.

Adding cured rock is also ok, as long as it's been at the LFS a while, and isn't out of water for extended time before you put it in the tank.