Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 PM

Pinchy is on a distinguished road
Default Tank Crash - Fish Breathing Heavy..

Hello all,

I require your help. I attempted to move my 55 gallon to my new house where i had an empty 75 gallon bowfront setup. I had premixed saltwater two days in advance (30 gallons) I have moved all of the water and LR into the new tank as i wanted to keep parameters as stable as possible. Before introducing the fish I waited for the temperature to match the holding tub the fish were in, then started the acclimmation process. I then added the fish and they were fine for the first night. The following morning i noticed the fish were respirating heavily (over 100x per minute) particularly my Yellow Tang / flame angel. The yellow tang has now passed away... This is the first SW fish i have had die since starting the hobby a year and a half ago. It is a very sad day. The yellow tail damsel, cardinal and sandsifter goby are attempting to eat, the others show minimal interest.

I am stumped as to why this happened. The only thing that i have changed is added a Fluval 304 with fresh filter media to remove the floating particles.

in the filter is Floss, Carbon, Bio Balls & GFO.

Parameters (tested when i introduced the fish two days ago & last night):

Ammonia: 0
PH: 8.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

The only thing else to mention is my sump / skimmer hasent been online the last few days as i need a few parts for it before i can get it running. There is a TON of surface agitation with the 304 and X3 Koralia K1's pointing up at the surface.

PLEASE HELP i do not want to lose anymore fish. Is there anything i can add to the tank in terms of additives?

Thank you for your time.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 PM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

You can try to add some Prime and maybe put in an air pump to increase oxygen level in the water.

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Pinchy is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I will buy some prime tonight. Any other thoughts?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i would think there is lack of oxygen if there is heavy breathing like that, take a powerhead and aim it at the top of the water so it ripples the surface.....get your skimmer online asap...sorry man
Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Skimmer etc offline, fish breathing heavy..probably lack of oxygen and the fish died. Was there any sand moved? There could have been some gas trapped and that was released.

If ammonia was 0 then it's the only thing I can think of. Are you sure your test kit for ammonia is good? because I am surprised that you did not have a mini cycle by doing this tank move. I would buy some Seachem Prime and treat the water for a week or two while the biofilter is establishing.

Can it be a mass of bacterias dying from the bioball?

Hope you don't keep your temperature too high because that will only make anything else worse, ammonia if present, lack of oxygen etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Hello all,

I require your help. I attempted to move my 55 gallon to my new house where i had an empty 75 gallon bowfront setup. I had premixed saltwater two days in advance (30 gallons) I have moved all of the water and LR into the new tank as i wanted to keep parameters as stable as possible. Before introducing the fish I waited for the temperature to match the holding tub the fish were in, then started the acclimmation process. I then added the fish and they were fine for the first night. The following morning i noticed the fish were respirating heavily (over 100x per minute) particularly my Yellow Tang / flame angel. The yellow tang has now passed away... This is the first SW fish i have had die since starting the hobby a year and a half ago. It is a very sad day. The yellow tail damsel, cardinal and sandsifter goby are attempting to eat, the others show minimal interest.

I am stumped as to why this happened. The only thing that i have changed is added a Fluval 304 with fresh filter media to remove the floating particles.

in the filter is Floss, Carbon, Bio Balls & GFO.

Parameters (tested when i introduced the fish two days ago & last night):

Ammonia: 0
PH: 8.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

The only thing else to mention is my sump / skimmer hasent been online the last few days as i need a few parts for it before i can get it running. There is a TON of surface agitation with the 304 and X3 Koralia K1's pointing up at the surface.

PLEASE HELP i do not want to lose anymore fish. Is there anything i can add to the tank in terms of additives?

Thank you for your time.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:51 PM

pscott99 is on a distinguished road

run an airator stone or pump with pvc for bubbles
Old 12-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

I remember being told that herbtana makes microbe lift, and something else(sorry the name has slipped my mind) but combined the 2 make an excellent stress coat for just such situations. also I agree with the above, do an airstone to help bring some more O2 into the water, I did this when my canister on my cichlid tank broke down, I had about 4 airstones in different places to help keep O2 in the water. no fish lost!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

When you stir up the tank such as you have you can release a lot of trapped organics and nitrates, all of which will fuel a bacterial bloom which consumes oxygen. I think this might be your problem. Surface agitation doesn't mean much of you aren't getting o2-rich water down to the bottom. Get a powerhead down low and aim it up. Get an airstone in there to help aerate the water until your have a skimmer up.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:54 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Also there are cases where ich collects on the fishs gills, this causes them to have heavy labor when breathing.
Did you have a case of ich that went away lately?
Sometimes the ich is still in the gills.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

when the yellow tang dies, what color were the gills?

First and formost, did you move the sandbed? or use new?

Stability is your friend, for the next 7 days at least dose the tank with approx 1 capcull per 50 gal.

Heavy breathing is more than likely 2 things, a parasite in the gills, or low O2.

if it is O2, run a bubbler, and more flow.

Hope this helps.

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook