Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-02-2011, 05:27 PM

es355lucille is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to es355lucille
Default Brute Garbage Cans

Anyone seen these in Calgary? Brute carries 32-55 Gallon....and you can get lids and dollies for them. I am looking for something that I can cook some live rock in......45g drums are good too but scary what might have been in them prior.

http://www.uline.ca/BL_6756/Brute-Co...FZFoKgodeh-fsg

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51996

Photobucket
Old 04-02-2011, 05:42 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by es355lucille View Post
Anyone seen these in Calgary? Brute carries 32-55 Gallon....and you can get lids and dollies for them. I am looking for something that I can cook some live rock in......45g drums are good too but scary what might have been in them prior.

http://www.uline.ca/BL_6756/Brute-Co...FZFoKgodeh-fsg
Do a search on "Brute" on this site; this has been discussed a number of times already. The bottom line is that unless it's a food-grade container, there is a possibility of mould-release agents leeching into the water over time. Just how much and how dangerous this may be to livestock is debatable. Plenty of people seem to use these without issue as well.

As usual, it boils down to you having to make a decision without any serious evidence one way or the other that these are suitable for our needs....

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:13 PM

shootingstar is on a distinguished road

Look around your local area and find a restaurant supply company, they carry the brute cans that are guaranteed food safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
Do a search on "Brute" on this site; this has been discussed a number of times already. The bottom line is that unless it's a food-grade container, there is a possibility of mould-release agents leeching into the water over time. Just how much and how dangerous this may be to livestock is debatable. Plenty of people seem to use these without issue as well.

As usual, it boils down to you having to make a decision without any serious evidence one way or the other that these are suitable for our needs....
Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

I got mine at home depot in edmonton, they must have them in calgary too.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:19 PM

staceyd72 is on a distinguished road

Lowes and Home Depot have them here in Ontario, they should carry them in your area also.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 PM

Well they should.....but I have check a couple of places with no luck. I would definately like to have a food grade but I know lots of the LFS's that use the Brute containers with no issues over quite a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyd72 View Post
Lowes and Home Depot have them here in Ontario, they should carry them in your area also.

Photobucket
Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 PM

JOEL is on a distinguished road

I got mine from the grocery people in Edmonton not sure if you have that store in cow town.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 AM

staceyd72 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

That's too bad there's none is stock or they don't carry them. They're usually in the garbage can, recycling(blue box) section in my area. Have you looked into the RubberMaid storage totes, that may be an option, some of them are fairly large.
I've got three of the Brutes sitting in the corner of my garage, too bad you're not closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by es355lucille View Post
Well they should.....but I have check a couple of places with no luck. I would definately like to have a food grade but I know lots of the LFS's that use the Brute containers with no issues over quite a few years.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:27 AM

I will have to have a look Stacey and see what I can find in these. I have tried other garbage can (plastic) types and found that after a month they leak like a seive! Really handy and sets panic through our house....LOL! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyd72 View Post
Hi,

That's too bad there's none is stock or they don't carry them. They're usually in the garbage can, recycling(blue box) section in my area. Have you looked into the RubberMaid storage totes, that may be an option, some of them are fairly large.
I've got three of the Brutes sitting in the corner of my garage, too bad you're not closer.

Photobucket
Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 AM

Sorry Mark I missed your message. Thanks for the input. Yes its hard to know what to use safely. I go by the LFS's in Calgary and all of them that I have seen use the Brute products in some way or another. But try to find them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post

Photobucket