Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-26-2011, 04:10 PM

KevinK is on a distinguished road
Default any help on revers engineer LED driver

ok ,

whom can revers engineer this driver for me?

reason why I want to stay whit this driver is because I’m not a electro tech, and when I can re build this driver I have something I can copy right on the table, as schematics dot tell me anything, for me it is more like: I need 1 of part A and put it there, I need 1 of part B and put it there

some info I already found (like the online resistor calculator) that explains how strong the resistor needs to be, and what a resistor is, but I’m missing some components I need to Know before I can build it.

I have 100 CREE led’s that I want to start putting together, I previously both this driver for $ 65, however in components it is only about $ 15 I think

so here we go:

A= negative from power supply (24V)
B= positive from power supply (24V) the bridge in between is in case I want to put a electronic dimming function on)
C= connections for a regular pot dimmer (that's on it now)
D= negative to LED
E= positive to LED

1= what the hack is this, and what douse it do
2= what is this ? is this the resistor (I found a online resistor calculator to find out what one I need) but is this the resistor yes / no) if no what is it and what douse it do !!
this one sits between the pin 2 from the driver chip and the negative

3= what is this one ? when locking with a magnifying glass it is printed don it T680 – what douse it do? ---- this one goes in the middle from pin 4 on the driver chip to the positive from the LED’s

*= 5 V DC voltage regulating chip 7805 CG
+= CAT 4101 led driver from onsemi

reason why I want to stay whit this driver is because I’m not a electro tech, and when I can re build this driver I have something I can copy right on the table, as schematics dot tell me anything, for me it is more like: I need 1 of part A and put it there, I need 1 of part B and put it there

some info I already found (like the online resistor calculator) that explains how strong the resistor needs to be, and what a resistor is, but I’m missing some components I need to Know before I can build it
Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 PM

any ?

bump
Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 PM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

if you can provide a schematic i can figure it out.
1. is a capacitor. don't know the value though
2. is a resistor. not sure about value. i think it's 58 ohms can't really read clearly
3. it's just a jumper.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodasp View Post
if you can provide a schematic i can figure it out.
1. is a capacitor. don't know the value though
2. is a resistor. not sure about value. i think it's 58 ohms can't really read clearly
3. it's just a jumper.
thanks for the info so far,

I dont have a schem.

1)the capasitor, is the value to be calculated, kind as uou calculate theresistor? this as I found a online calc. for LED resistors ?

2) if this is the resistor, it is printed on there T680 so would that be 68 ohms? ore with the online calculator I can calculate hat I need

3) as you mention, a jumper, dous this not matter what ore how much .... (in other words it would have bin a little cable to jump ?

the online calc. I mention is:

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

so supply with 24V
forward volt CREE = 3.4
forward curent 800
number of LED 7

answer would be 1 ohms right ?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:26 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

there is an open source schematic on reef central for a diy driver. They even have the pcbs you can buy from an hobby printer out of china. check out the diy thread on RC - i beleive the dude who built it goes by van der wille or something like that
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
there is an open source schematic on reef central for a diy driver. They even have the pcbs you can buy from an hobby printer out of china. check out the diy thread on RC - i beleive the dude who built it goes by van der wille or something like that
I know, proublem is there is so much info, you can read for years, and schematics dont tell me anything. I'm trying to educate myselve, but it is hard when it is something you never did.

while a coppy would be dummy proof I think, as long as I know what is what.

se all the treads and info you read is going so deep and complicated.

there should be a kind of stikky for a dIY driver that plain tells ok this driver is for ..... CREE LED's

part a is ...

part B is ....

and this is a step by step instruction.

now all thos treads go from something to something way way over bord, and you cant even find the basic anymore

I did mail Der Wilde, hoping he could help with a dummy prove driver