Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 AM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road
Default Aquaria's mixed reef nano

NEW TANK PICTURES!!!! 01/08/11
Well I have finally got the stuff needed to get a tank going so ill start with the equipment list and ill post pics tomorrow.
there are a couple things I need before I can fill, first off I'm having the tank resealed by the guys at O.C. Second I need a few plumbing pieces and caulking+paint
I'm sealing the canopy and stand and repainting with a waterproof paint as the last owner did not, and there's rust stains (from the screw)runing down into the tank.
Next ill be restaining the light wood trim a dark color to match my 90g FW tank, and I believe the color is called cappachino. Now for the equipment

20g+10g sump
stand+canopy
remora aqua c skimmer
rio+ 1700 pump 300gph @ 4ft
aquaticlife 4bulb T5HO with built in timer
diy autotop off
koralia 1 PH 400gph
bio reactor -phosban or somthing- coming at christmas
30ish lbs of dead rock

Last edited by Aquaria; 10-03-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 PM

i have to make some slight mods to the canopy, to get my light fixture to fit snug. im still debating getting rid of the remora and getting somthing in-sump.
theres comp fans installed in the top for heat but they need to be wired and im no good with electriticty. the internal overflow is in the centre and it has a stockman stand pipe with return. im wondering about flow issues in the corners, how would someone deal with that? or is it even a problem? enough talk PICS

as soon as i closed the lid he started making this face, he was super mad at me lol
Old 11-18-2010, 06:41 AM

i may have to reseal as there was air bubbles in the silicone that i just couldent get out but practice makes perfect
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-24-2010, 11:20 PM

well i stained the wood, cut out a spot in the back for my skimmer, cleaned the rock and installed the plumbing whew. 3 days of work ill post pics of some of the work when im not feeling so lazy. the tank is running and nov 24 is the officail start of the cycle. the rocks and water were black when i opened the bucket and stinky but not as bad as i thought it was going to be. i was worried the rocks would stay black but the overnight soak turned em white again and the water is now cloudy looks like its time for a wc already lol will have to wait for the weekend as my ro/di membrane is broken and leaking and am getting very little good water (it also took 3 days to fill my 20g n 10g sump ) so i may be in the market for another if the replacments parts and shippin are to much. added a 4"sugar sand bed in the refugium and a Bunch of rubble and going to be adding more rubble throughout the sump areas. i need a bigger pump as my overflow can Handel at least 200 more gph and at 4ft im only getting to be safe around 300, pump says 350. im looking to cycle rocks for about 2 months possibly 3 months if im just not happy with prams and after a month ill trade 5-lbs of rock for well established rock and plus i want to start a reactor of some sort and get Cheeto and a light for my Refugio going first

Last edited by Aquaria; 11-24-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:48 PM

well have been having problems with the tank growing bacteria only on the silicone so i drained the tank and and going to be resealing with aquarium grade silicone got rock from jlaquatics and a new aqua c urchin skimmer in a rubbermaid with the old rock looks like i might be selling some of it lol post pics of the recomplete after i get it resealed, sand in, and rock structures built. should be by jan 2-3
Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 PM

well i cracked the old tank so i scraped it got an overflow and installed my old tank. i had to make some modifications on the back of the stand so as to acommodate a 14" tank, old one was 12". its up and running now i added a shrimp 2 days ago and its already completly covered in fungus, so i removed it and ill be testing the prams once i get back with coffee lol. anyway heres a FTS and a pan out to show the stand.....enjoy and please comment on the aquascape

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Looking good. Always tough to wait for a cycle but patience is the key!

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

what does Acetone do ?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Absolutly nothing lol I was advised to use it to clean the glass before a reseal
Because it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue but it was useless ended up just razorblading well and cleaning up with a vacuum and hotwater That was the tank that cracked
Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 PM

Ya waiting is hard lol first addition is going to be a pistol shrimp/goby pair after a small cuc anyway thinking a couple snails and a pom pom crab and a small urchin later on coral won't be going in for a while minus a softy thinking gsp I love the stuff but sps won't be goingin till I get my reactor and ato set up want the tank as stable as possible to maximize my chances of keeping them