Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-06-2010, 04:59 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road
Default Six Line VS Fairy Wrasse

So I picked up a fairy wrasse from Blue World yesterday... as all signs and LFS said "should be ok"... but obviously no guarantees.

For the first hour or so the wrasse was acclimated floating in the bag. My six line did not even approach the bag to have a look.

After dropping the Fairy Wrasse in.... he swam in the open for an hour or so and the siix line just swam around it... without making a single attack. Then later last night he started chasing the fairy wrasse around. The Fairy wrasse is about the same size.... but red. No resemblance in color.

NOW... the fairy went into my extensive "cavern" system I built into the rock work.... and the six line is looking for him (he keeps circling the area).

The fairy is a "tad" more pricey.... and now I wonder what the hell to do. We all know removing the rock work for a fish is a nightmare.

I put in a mantis trap I have.... and put some mysis inside. The Six line is curious and keeps looking in... but won't enter. He is a clever bugger.

Anyone have any suggestions??????

PUHLEEEEAAAASE!!!!

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee

my six line was relentless against my leopard. itchased it until it tried playing dead and even then, the sixline skill went in and peeled scales off the leopard. I was finally able to catch the leopard after it was on the verge of death and put into isolation to recuperate. Then it took me about 3 weeks for my sixline to get into fish trap before I gave it away. Six lines do not mix with other wrasses unless its 3-4x bigger than its size.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Ugh.

So I ripped apart my tank to remove either the six line or the fairy wrasse.

I ended up catching the six line so he found a new place in my sump refugium for now. Well fuge in training.... no lights yet.... just some rock. I am pretty sure he will be fine.

NOW the question is.... do I try trade him for a small six line (as I love him) or say good bye to him forever as I cannot pt him back in with the fairy wrasse.

I also am stressed out that I cannot find two of my fish since rearranging the rocks.... I am really hoping they are hiding and not crushed under rocks.

Man what a shitty day in the reef.

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:48 PM

Default Six Line removed

My six line has bee removed.

Anyone have thoughts on adding a smaller one? I kept the fairy wrasse as much nicer fish and wonder if a smaller six line would mesh.

Does anyone have a six line in their tanks with other peaceful wrasses?

Keep in mind my tank is 70 gallon so as "big" as it is... its not a giant.

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

Old 11-07-2010, 05:40 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

i have a six line, cleaner and a yellow coris wrasse and they get along just fine. the six line was the first to go in. coris is twice his size and cleaner is little longer than him.

mind you i bought two six lines when i started but i have never seen the second one. i think it died.

im surprised you caught that six line so easily. when i was getting this six line, the LFS had a very hard time catching him with just one rock in the tank. i doubt i would ever be able to catch this guy.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
i have a six line, cleaner and a yellow coris wrasse and they get along just fine. the six line was the first to go in. coris is twice his size and cleaner is little longer than him.

mind you i bought two six lines when i started but i have never seen the second one. i think it died.

im surprised you caught that six line so easily. when i was getting this six line, the LFS had a very hard time catching him with just one rock in the tank. i doubt i would ever be able to catch this guy.

It was not easy at all. I removed approximately 50 pounds of aquascaped rock. Had two nets in my hands and my wife held a third to block alternate escape routes and it still took 40 minutes.

Easy. It was a stressful crappy experience ha ha!

At least today the Whipfin Fairy Wrasse looks good. He is still hiding but where he is at ( a cave ) you can see him swimming around. Good sign if you ask me. He should be fine after settling in.

Although.... my Tailspot Blenny has yet to be seen. This I am worried about... I have a bad feeling he met his end under a rock. ****** Six line!

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

Old 11-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

six lines are the devil!
i rarely see mine, hes always going in and out of rocks. im not even sure what hes eating because he doesnt come out for pellets or mysis. but hes getting fat, and big, hes looking like a kinder surprise.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:08 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Kind of funny how this same story shows up every couple of months but yet people always post about how well behaved their sx lines are. I've gone through it and so have a few of my friends. Sixlines are little bastards. If you like peaceful and active wrasses try a potters or a leopard wrasse. Seem to have the same characteristics as a sixline but minus the bad attitude.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Anyone have thoughts on adding a smaller one? I kept the fairy wrasse as much nicer fish and wonder if a smaller six line would mesh.
I think you answered your own query right here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
It was not easy at all. I removed approximately 50 pounds of aquascaped rock. Had two nets in my hands and my wife held a third to block alternate escape routes and it still took 40 minutes.

Easy. It was a stressful crappy experience ha ha! ...

Although.... my Tailspot Blenny has yet to be seen. This I am worried about... I have a bad feeling he met his end under a rock. ****** Six line!

If you add a small six line he may be kept at bay for a while. However, as time passes he may develop the same attitude with his established territory. Then, when you go to add a new fish you'll be back here again.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:30 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to hear you got your six line out. I also have to do something about my six line .