Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad
Default feeding those little buggers - how much is too much?

ok, when I first started my tank, I was feeding pellets automatically 4 times a day and every day I was feeding some mysis or brine shirmp. also put some nori in every day.

I removed some GFO and started getting all kinds of algea everywhere.
I also had an oil slick at the top of the tank (which turned out it was because of my overflow wasnt tweaked right)
and my ntirates were 20

anyways, because of the above three things, i turned back my feeding to twice a day, 12 hours apart. three times a week i do nori, and twice a week i do mysis.

my fish seemed to be ALOT happier when they were getting fed several times a day. now they fight all the time, they chase each other around. I even saw my mimic chase the yellow which ive never seen any aggression from that mimic tang ever.

So my question is, all these things I read about not feeding to much, is there a science behind it? It seems its better to feed small amount many times a day than just feeing twice a day. it seems to me there must be a balance between stuffing that fish so hes happy and not feeding your tank.

im leaning to putting my feeders on 4-5 times a day timer and small amounts.

o btw since I lowered the feeding, ive also introduced bio pellets which seem to have destroyed the nitrates and phosphates because they are now 0.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:42 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

i feed 2 times per day sometimes once
Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Personally I feed once a day, when spawning maybe twice.

At the store once every 2 days, to keep them active, and hungry when someone asks to see them eat.

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

You have to remember that in the wild, fish will eat whenever they can. Sometimes thats a couple of times a day, sometimes not for several days. herbivores nibble relentlessly.

I think being fed a reasonable amount of food, once a day, guaranteed, makes most fish plenty happy.

I suspect that your fish are cranky because they were used to getting more but will settle down when they adjust.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Also, remember to vary the diet, and supplements.

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 11-05-2010, 02:13 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I've always feed once a day and not a whole lot, basically as much as they'll eat in about 30 secs or so and no food hitting bottom or being taking out by the overflow.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Ha gee that's bad! I rescued a yellow tang that was as skinny as they get because the store did that exact same thing and kept them hungry so that they would eat when people would want so see them eat. That poor fish was so skinny that it took a month to fatten it up to decency.

This is BAD practice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
At the store once every 2 days, to keep them active, and hungry when someone asks to see them eat.

Ken - BWA
Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
Ha gee that's bad! I rescued a yellow tang that was as skinny as they get because the store did that exact same thing and kept them hungry so that they would eat when people would want so see them eat. That poor fish was so skinny that it took a month to fatten it up to decency.

This is BAD practice!
not really. If his fish were still active and eating, it's not a bad practice at all...there's a difference between feeding lightly and starvation...feeding every second day wouldn't make a tang super skinny. I don't feed the tank at all on Sundays...and my fish are fine
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.

Last edited by Rbacchiega; 11-05-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling like a 5 year old again
Old 11-05-2010, 05:20 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

that's what the lfs where I got the yellow tang was doing, feeding every second day so the fish would be hungry. sooner or later that means trouble for a tang wich need to graze all day in order to be well fed.

If you have tangs in your aquarium and you have liverock, and you feed every 2 days, your tangs may still be able to scrape some algae off the rocks but usualy in stores there is no liverock and a fish cannot find anything to eat. You cannot compare skipping one day per way to feeding every 2 days..that means the fish is receiving half of what you give yours, maybe less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbacchiega View Post
not really. If his fish were still active and eating, it's not a bad practice at all...there's a difference between feeding lightly and starvation...feeding every second day wouldn't make a tang super skinny. I don't feed the tank at all on Sundays...and my fish are fine
Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear your nitrates went diwn like I told you on the other thread it's only a matter of time if you keep up with it so good job

what your seeing now is your fishes true behavior .... Aggression, territory/dominance , protection/defense. Like someone said in the wild one day they could have eaten ten times while then have nothing for a week now you have fish that are acting like they should after all survival of the fittest.

I don't think Ken means he starved fish so they eat for customers he's merely saying like all of us he feeds lightly and when someone asks to see it eats then it is happy too I think you do fine ken and have been there for feeding time and know they all eat the best they can

milad I too have Just cut back on feeding now it's flake once a day and frozen every 3 plus nori daily as tanga need a constant supply if greens. Most tangs i've seen are skinny but they take time to fatten up and most lfs dint keep them that long so you can't blame an lfs for that, tangs sell fast usually before they get fat and usully as juvies

Again good job milad and FYI watch there bellies you'll know if they are starving