Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 AM

marknash is on a distinguished road
Exclamation HELP WITH PICKING A ...NEW FILTER SUGGESTIONS?!

hello all we have a 46g bow front that currently has a toms aquarium filter with a protien skimmmer .. that is currently failing.. and we need to get a new one asap.
we got this filter not really knowing much about how it worked.. so now that we need to get a new one.. we need help with picking a GOOD one that isnt going to give us constant grief.. and will not crap out after a year..
we dont have the ability to do a sump.
.. and how long can we run our tank on just powerheads?
thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Is this a saltwater tank? You don't need a filter that is what your live rock is for, a filter is usually a bad thing in saltwater traps all the junk and then your running all your water through this, unless you can comit to clean on a regular basis. If you want one for hang on the back to run carbon or poly wool the odd time pick up a aquaclear filter. As for skimmer if your bio load is low you don't need one. If i were you i would take the money you were going to buy the new filter with a pick up a Deltec mce 600. It has a media chamber for your carbon and is the best hang on skimmer you can buy.

Just an idea but its what i run and there awesome.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...ghlight=deltec
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...ghlight=deltec

360 Reef Tank