Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 PM

tlo is on a distinguished road
Default can you run zeolites in a phosban reactor?

I am thinking of trying the zeolites, but not sure if I want to invest in the special reactor for them. I am wondering if you can get the same results if a phosban reactor or do you really NEED that the zeolite reactor with the plunger.
Has anybody tried this?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:14 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlo View Post
I am thinking of trying the zeolites, but not sure if I want to invest in the special reactor for them. I am wondering if you can get the same results if a phosban reactor or do you really NEED that the zeolite reactor with the plunger.
Has anybody tried this?
from what i understand as long as you can shake it once a day you should be okay.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:34 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ya, it works better if you take the top off, and just put the inlet hose right onto the standpipe. Then you just let it overflow into your sump. This way you can use the standpipe to "plunge" it twice a day. Provided you have room to plunge...depends how much rock you need to put in there...?? You might break the bottom plate in the TLF reactor doing this too, so you might need to beef it up with a custom cut acrylic one from your local CNC shop.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:39 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ya, it works better if you take the top off, and just put the inlet hose right onto the standpipe. Then you just let it overflow into your sump. This way you can use the standpipe to "plunge" it twice a day. Provided you have room to plunge...depends how much rock you need to put in there...?? You might break the bottom plate in the TLF reactor doing this too, so you might need to beef it up with a custom cut acrylic one from your local CNC shop.
+1, as long as you can aggitate them properly I don't see a problem. The Zeo Reactor makes it easy, but I have heard of people just putting Zeolites in carbon bags and putting them in a flow area and manually mixing them aroung. I can't say this method works either, but I have heard of it being done.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
I have heard of people just putting Zeolites in carbon bags and putting them in a flow area and manually mixing them aroung. I can't say this method works either, but I have heard of it being done.
I would advise against this as you can't control the flow, just guesstimate what goes through. Without flow control you don't have nutrient control which could be detrimental if you inadvertently suck out too much too quick. I have firsthand experience on this one. I didn't even know I had any nutrients to suck out! I imagine it would be compounded in a higher nutrient system.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 AM

tlo is on a distinguished road

thanks for all your replies. A fellow reefer has actually offered to lend me a zeo reactor that he is not using.
THis will give me an idea how well it works before I decide if I want to purchase one for myself.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I would advise against this as you can't control the flow, just guesstimate what goes through. Without flow control you don't have nutrient control which could be detrimental if you inadvertently suck out too much too quick. I have firsthand experience on this one. I didn't even know I had any nutrients to suck out! I imagine it would be compounded in a higher nutrient system.
That is very true, as flow is important. I should of stated that, thanks... But again I have heard people doing it.

Personally I would just invest in a reactor, they are quite inexpensive now. Look at the vertex models. Maybe there are cheaper ones over the Vertex.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk

Last edited by globaldesigns; 10-19-2010 at 04:15 PM.