Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road
Default New fish suggestions

Hello all, I am about to jump my aquarium size by 20 gallons with a sump, so I am considering a new fish. I will be into a 52 Gallon tank. I currently have a Citron Goby, Dusky Jawfish, 2 Blue Chromis, there is also a Cleaner shrimp, Brittle Star Fish and lots of crabs, snails, ect.

I am looking for something that isn't aggresive (tank mates are all docile) and does some cleaning! Preferably something that eats bristle worms aswell as mysis shrimp, flakes, well anything really

Any fish coming to mind that fits the bill?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:57 AM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road

Apparently my brother-in-laws Pearly Jawfish just ate a bristleworm today...lol Nicer looking than Dusky IMO.

Blue Gudgeons are nice and peaceful, though jumpers.
Nice little goby maybe?
Old 07-18-2010, 05:01 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Bristleworms are beneficial scavengers! I would suggest a pair of the smaller Fairy Wrasses (Carpenter, McCosker's, Filamented, etc). Not likely to eat bristleworms though.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

if you dont mind sand everywhere i like my dragon goby not sure how peaceful he will be later but seems fine to me nice colour patterns and the way he stares at you while sifting sand is pretty cool too
Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 AM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Sixline wrasse. Or a dwarf angel of some sort.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 AM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

Canary Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
Sixline wrasse. Or a dwarf angel of some sort.
I thought that Six Lines could get a little aggressive with docile tankmates?

http://www.themarinecenter.com/fish/wrassereefsafe/ I found this website which has a few wrasse's that you guys have recommended. I really like the look of the Rose Belly Fairy Wrasse, most of these fish have such beautiful colors

Last edited by Wayne; 07-18-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Bristleworms are beneficial scavengers! I would suggest a pair of the smaller Fairy Wrasses (Carpenter, McCosker's, Filamented, etc). Not likely to eat bristleworms though.
Yeah I know, but they are bad for some of my corals. When I move tanks I will be putting these on a shelf and off the rock so that will help... That being said, when I shut the flow off in the tank for coral feed, they all come out and they just seem creepy
Old 07-18-2010, 02:19 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Ha, ha, creepy, yes. Many critters in our tanks fit that bill, some folks find Brittle Starfish creepy too and they're generally beneficial. I've observed my Cleaner Shrimp take a small Bristleworm as well and I see you have one of those, so I'm sure he takes care of the odd one. I think our tanks are fairly good at finding a balance as they mature, if you start buying specifically to target certain critters, it's like chasing snow storms in winter trying to find the best powder, by the time you get there, the storm has moved on and you're chasing it somewhere else.

With respect to fish recommendations, I dunno, why not a pair of the more docile clownfish (Percs)(I have a Maroon pair, probably too aggressive for your system), or as your 52 matures a little, a Mandarin Dragonet, they're about as docile as it gets. Just the feeding that can be an issue.

Last edited by mike31154; 07-18-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Ha, ha, creepy, yes. Many critters in our tanks fit that bill, some folks find Brittle Starfish creepy too and they're generally beneficial. I've observed my Cleaner Shrimp take a small Bristleworm as well and I see you have one of those, so I'm sure he takes care of the odd one. I think our tanks are fairly good at finding a balance as they mature, if you start buying specifically to target certain critters, it's like chasing snow storms in winter trying to find the best powder, by the time you get there, the storm has moved on and you're chasing it somewhere else.

With respect to fish recommendations, I dunno, why not a pair of the more docile clownfish (Percs)(I have a Maroon pair, probably too aggressive for your system), or as your 52 matures a little, a Mandarin Dragonet, they're about as docile as it gets. Just the feeding that can be an issue.
Would a set of clowns be ok in my system? My first love was a set of Saddlebacks that were just too aggressive. That is why I got the Citron Goby (because its clown shaped). Would lokve to get another set as long as they don't try and host my flower pots