Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 AM

piusma is on a distinguished road
Default Gauging Interest: Social acclimation box [Updates]

Not sure how many of you have heard about social acclimation box.

I'm about to add my last few fish to my fish tank and came across a thread regarding a social acclimation box. I believe I will need one of those for my last few fish and decided to look into building one.

I have finished building my first unit and have extra materials left for a couple more. I can build another acclimation box between $30-$45 depending on the size of the box you want or size of the fish you wanted to put into it. While these will not be in commerical quality, I can guarantee that they'll be very well built and functional.

I'd like to find out if any of you would be interested. These will be built with lexan which is much stronger and break resistant than plexi / acrylics. I have attached a few pictures of some prototypes

Please send me a PM if you are interested in one and what dimensions you would like. For your information, my first prototype is approx 4" wide x 6" deep x 14" long.

This one is the one that inspired me, hangs on the side of the tank for easy access.

Update: Images of the prototype

Smallest size box (Note the top hanger part is adjustable through strapping at a different height)

Medium size box (my first prototype)

Largest size box (Base on the clearance of my 180 gallon tank braces, scale to provide decent space for a medium size tang or angel, unfinished product, still needing hanger part)

Steven

Last edited by piusma; 11-04-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe a link to the thread you saw or some reference for the curious?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Oooh, sounds like a great idea! I am definitely interested. I would like a Social Acclimation box that is about 10' by 10' by 10'. I know a few people that I would like to put in it!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:16 PM

The idea is when introducing new fish to your tank, to reduce aggression, you could use a social acclimation chamber. What it really is, is a clear submesible box and inside you can put a few PVC pipes for your fish to hide in.

This box should be big enough for your fish to live in for a couple of days and still get fed. It would allow your fish to get to know each other with actual physical contact. It allows you to observe their behaviour and release the new fish when aggression subsides. It helps if you are introducing some delicated fish to some existing fish would might be very terriitorial.

Steven
Old 11-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Kien,

I'd suggest a 2' x 4' x 8' for your specimen 10' x 10' x 10' is a waste of material and realestate.

Steven
Old 11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by piusma View Post
Kien,

I'd suggest a 2' x 4' x 8' for your specimen 10' x 10' x 10' is a waste of material and realestate.

Steven
But that would only allow me to hold 1 specimen. As I have multiples, I will need a larger enclosure. Please and thank you!

Oh, and your idea of using a smaller enclosure for fish, brilliant! Maybe one that is the size of a medium tang? I find tangs as hard to socially acclimatize as some humans
Old 11-02-2010, 05:14 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Oh, very nice! I like this. I would REALLY like it if you could figure out a way to make one of the ends slide up and down so it can be used like a trap too. If you can do that and you're willing to ship I would buy one about 10x4x6" (lwh).

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

For small fish I use a breeder trap/net. I also use it for fish that are taking a beating or on the way out

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murminator View Post
For small fish I use a breeder trap/net. I also use it for fish that are taking a beating or on the way out
I should have either done this or used a social acclimation box for my Flame Angel. Poor guy never saw those clowns coming...
Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

I would be interested in one of these as well. You said your prototype was 16 inches long... is that what you are basing your price off of?
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..