Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 AM

marvinsae is on a distinguished road
Default help with posible fungus infection

i've tested my water parameters, alkalinity, calcium, ph, ammonia, nitrate and everything is fine. only thing i dont have a test for is mag and phos. temp is a little low at 26 and salinity a bit high at 1.027. so my blue powder tang has a few white spots on his stomach and a few on his fins. im thinkin it's a fungal infection. how do i care for this? i heard it could be due to stress cause i just added him a couple of days ago. will it go away or would i have to quarantine him and how would i do this?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 AM

Frenchie2 is on a distinguished road
Default Infection

It's pretty common for blue tangs to get "ich" from any kind of stress. Do you have a cleaner shrimp? Also, with frozen food, add some liquid garlic (Garlic Xtreme - a couple drops) along with some Selcon. As long as your tang is feeding and swims everywhere, you should not worry too much. If his immune system is strong, the "ich" will go away but it tends to come back as soon as it is stressed - that's the "down side" of owning this beautiful specimen... I also use small pellet "Bioshish" food from Dr. Bassler's (brand) which contains traces of copper and it will not harm any of your invertebres. It works really well - I feed the fish a couple times/week with this food. That was referred to me by J&L Aquatics. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 AM

marvinsae is on a distinguished road

no cleaner shrimp yet but i am going to purchase some tomorrow. i have 2 yellow tail damsels 2 occelaris clowns about 8 astrea snail a brittle starfish and a diamond watchman goby...what type of shrimp do u suggest? i like those blood shrimps...
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default ich

i like to use neon gobies-they tend not to get eaten by my wrasses or eel