Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 PM
bvlester

Default no the hunt, update.

well some thing is eating my torch coral. I noticed a couple of heads gone after acclimation and integration in to the tank. I move to coral and it was OK for 1-2 nights and then last night another head is eaten. The flow in these 2 spots are less than what I have seen in other peoples tanks with torch's in so I would say moderate flow cal was at 360 before dosing KH at 9.6 Alk at 3.41. ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all undetectable 0,0,0. PH 8.18 PH meter, SG 1.024 refractometer. I have yet to see anything on the coral any of the larger hermits have been moved to the sump a couple days ago. I wanted to eliminate them as the culprit. When I moved the torch it was fine for a couple days. I have 2 clowns 2 bar Gobi's and salaris blennie and a 6 line in there.

I will stay up late tonight to try and get the culprit. I'll get a pic and post later.

Bill

Last edited by bvlester; 03-30-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:08 AM
bvlester

Default update

here you go as promised a link to pics.

just wondering if I should pull the coral and dip it. It was dipped before going in but I may have missed some thing. It is in the sand should I move it up on to the rock work?
I forgot to mention that I have a slider conch could he be doing this?

http://s749.photobucket.com/albums/x...h%20in%20110g/

Bill
Old 03-30-2010, 06:32 PM
bvlester

I think it is the Tonga Nassarius snails doing it looked in tank last night and 1 was on the area where the skeleton is. so moved up onto the rocks and all was fine today will see in the next couple days.

Bill
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

I've had torch that had been fine since I got it (almost a year). Then I was handling it, moving it to a diffrent spot in the tank, and next day a head died. After that, it's been fine. Maybe it's just from handling it?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM
bvlester

That could be but I did not handle it till heads started to die after I noticed the second head die then I moved it to a spot where the flow was a bit less. then 2 more heads died on separate nights. they always seem to die at night and no flesh left in the morning. So I have moved to a spot on the rocks where the flow is not to much and the light is not to intense as that is a no no with these corals also apparently. Now we will see what is what. looks great today no head losses. I just thought that it seemed a bit odd that the only heads that were dead were on the out side of the colony.

Bill