Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road
Default Additive accident, is it a problem?

I use Seachem Calcium, Alk, and Mag powders for my top ups. I bought the larger buckets and refill the smaller bottles as necessary.
The other day my Alk bottle (500ml) was down to about 1/4 full, so I topped it up from a bucket, and realized after that I refilled the Alk bottle from the Calcium Bucket! To make matters worse, I dumped the whole contents of the bottle back in the calcium bucket (there was only maybe 150 ml of Alk mixed in) and mixed it up. It just happened that the Calcium bottle needed to be refilled so it was topped off with the Calcium / Alk mixture.
So now the question, when I mix this calcium / alk mixture up in my top off water, it fizzes like alkaselser for a couple of seconds then mixes up really cloudy. Clouds up the tank too when added (for about 15 minutes - 1/2 hr). The question is, does this premixed mixture pose any kind of problem? I'm thinking chemical reaction problem.

Thanks in advance.
Kelly
Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPG007 View Post
I use Seachem Calcium, Alk, and Mag powders for my top ups. I bought the larger buckets and refill the smaller bottles as necessary.
The other day my Alk bottle (500ml) was down to about 1/4 full, so I topped it up from a bucket, and realized after that I refilled the Alk bottle from the Calcium Bucket! To make matters worse, I dumped the whole contents of the bottle back in the calcium bucket (there was only maybe 150 ml of Alk mixed in) and mixed it up. It just happened that the Calcium bottle needed to be refilled so it was topped off with the Calcium / Alk mixture.
So now the question, when I mix this calcium / alk mixture up in my top off water, it fizzes like alkaselser for a couple of seconds then mixes up really cloudy. Clouds up the tank too when added (for about 15 minutes - 1/2 hr). The question is, does this premixed mixture pose any kind of problem? I'm thinking chemical reaction problem.

Thanks in advance.
Kelly
You will have to start fresh, you are likely noticing Calcium Carbonate precipitating from suspension causing the cloudiness..... The Calcium will no longer be effective at raising the values in your tank.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 PM

ottoman is on a distinguished road

Hi Kelly, I think Ian is right. The chemical will react or bond in the premix.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

D'oh!!

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking might be happening. Hopefully not too much to throw out.
Ian, you guys have great prices on bulk additives, right? Looks like I might have to try them out sooner rather then later. Seeing you tomorrow anyway.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPG007 View Post
D'oh!!

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking might be happening. Hopefully not too much to throw out.
Ian, you guys have great prices on bulk additives, right? Looks like I might have to try them out sooner rather then later. Seeing you tomorrow anyway.

We do! We just received our newest batch of Calcium Chloride, our Magnesium is also premixed to the proper ratio.