Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 11-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about
Default Advice for stocking a 225

I'm just dumping my fish thoughts down here to try and get an idea of what I want to keep. If anyone thinks there is a more advantageous order to adding these please share. Also if something doesn't jive with something else please let me know.

In no real order (yet):

- kole tang
- royal gramma
- banggai cardinal
- squarespot anthias (group?)
- swallowtail angelfish
- tailspot blenny
- sailfin blenny
- pair black and white clowns
- 4 stripe damsel (I know...)
- purple firefish
- orchid dottyback
- diamond watchman goby

Tank will be mostly SPS. A few LPS, going to try a bubble tip later on, maybe a clam of two.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:01 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

Personally I would probably add a Mandarin goby. I don't think that pods are going to be any problem for you what with your massive ball of chaeto and live rock.

Similarly, I would probably hesitate on the angelfish, if only because of the chance it will pick at your SPS.

I can't remember the word we use in the aquarium world, but what were you thinking for your centerpiece fish (showpiece fish? I can't remember)?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:34 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikey View Post
Similarly, I would probably hesitate on the angelfish, if only because of the chance it will pick at your SPS.
Actually Swallowtails are known for being quite reef compatible.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...341&pcatid=341

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 11-15-2009, 06:38 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I'm just dumping my fish thoughts down here to try and get an idea of what I want to keep. If anyone thinks there is a more advantageous order to adding these please share. Also if something doesn't jive with something else please let me know.

In no real order (yet):

- kole tang
- royal gramma
- banggai cardinal
- squarespot anthias (group?)
- swallowtail angelfish
- tailspot blenny
- sailfin blenny
- pair black and white clowns
- 4 stripe damsel (I know...)
- purple firefish
- orchid dottyback
- diamond watchman goby

Tank will be mostly SPS. A few LPS, going to try a bubble tip later on, maybe a clam of two.

Thanks.

I like you choices. Kole Tangs are great algae eaters. A group of Anthias will look terrific in that tank. The Swallowtail shouldn't be a problem; my Lamarck's is a model citizen, though I have heard deep-water Angels can sometimes become LPS pickers. Personally, I won't keep a damsel anymore; even Chromis can be little shits. I'd also keep an eye on the Dottyback. It may be aggressive towards the Royal Gramma.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:44 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Actually Swallowtails are known for being quite reef compatible.
My entire concept of life, the universe, and everything has been shaken to its very core. What madness is this? A reef safe angel? Such a thing was thought not to exist.

What else has this hobby been keeping from me?!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Your list does sound great! The square spot Anthia's are beautiful, how many are you thinking of adding? I have noticed mine do not like brite light, maybe they get used to it though.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:52 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I've had terrific luck with angels. I have a goldflake angel, a flame angel and a coral beauty and they all do not touch anything. I have 5 clams and a blue sponge. I consider myself very fortunate.

I would be tentative toward a royal gramma and a purple pseudochromis (these are a couple of my favourite fish) because they can tend to get super aggressive. I guess it's a chance you take. The royal grammas aren't much of an open swimmer either and typically hide a lot.

Just my 2 cents and reasons why I didn't introduce some of the same beautiful fish into my tank.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Actually the orchid dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani) is not too bad, better so than the purple dottyback (Pseudochromis porphyreus). They look similar so I think people get them mixed up a lot. But the orchid dottyback really isn't all that bad for aggression, at least IME (and is the prettiest of the dottybacks, IMO). You can keep them in pairs if you have a male and a female but I don't know how to tell them apart. Not a good idea to keep a pair if not a known pairing.

The swallowtail angels are the most reef safe of the angels, pygmy or otherwise. But do better in pairs (there is a fair bit of sexual dimorpohism between the sexes: there is no mistaking who is a boy and who is a girl .. at least in the swallowtail/Genicanthus angels). Nice choice BTW they are really nice angels.

All very nice choices, honestly I don't really see any huge problems with the list. Let's face it, it's probably going to be subject to change anyhow as you go along so it's not something I'd sweat too much at this point.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikey View Post
what were you thinking for your centerpiece fish?
The Kole actually. If I had my way it'd be either a sohal, naso or both. But I'm going to attempt some self-control here as I feel they get too big/active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
The square spot Anthia's are beautiful, how many are you thinking of adding? I have noticed mine do not like brite light
Yeah I read something about their colours fading under bright light and my tank is certainly bright. Maybe I'll have to choose a different anthias. I'm a really big an of the red striped ones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I would be tentative toward a royal gramma and a purple pseudochromis (these are a couple of my favourite fish) because they can tend to get super aggressive.
Like Tony said the orchid is less aggressive. I had one of these in my first tank and he was very close to a model citizen. He and my tomato clown would size each other up but nothing ever came of it. I didn't know the gramma could be aggressive tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Let's face it, it's probably going to be subject to change anyhow as you go along so it's not something I'd sweat too much at this point.
Oh yeah I'm sure things will change. The list will be longer in its final form. Happens to everyone! Don't you have one of those angels Tony? If so just a male or both sexes?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Does anyone know what the fish is for the basslet area on live aquaria? The two-tone purple fish that doesn't appear in the category itself? I'd choose this over the orchid as it looks BOSS.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:05 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Just my opinion. Ditch the royal gramma (too aggressive)
Add a powder brown tang (A. japonica) the one with orange on it, and add a mandarin 6 months after start up to give the the critters a chance to get up to speed.
(the kole needs film algae so keep the end of your tank dirty.)
But except for the royal nice choices.
Go slow with the additions. real slow.
Good Luck