Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-12-2010, 04:19 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road
Default Tank Cycled ? Things to Test For ?

Bought an established tank with a hair algae problem almost a month ago. Did a 100% water change on moving the tank and have used only RO water for everything since.

Getting itchy to add some life to the tank so I tested for Amonia and Nitrites tonight and got 0 for both. I tested these because I had test kits handy for those chemicals but I do have a big Hagen test kit that came with the tank.

Planning on a 15% water change this weekend. Then maybe a shrimp and a small fish or 2.

Anything else I should test for before I give the tank the green light ?

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 AM

Fishward is on a distinguished road

given that your tank has been going a month and reading zero, i think you should be ok to put something small in. keep in mind your cycle was likely done with very low bioload, and you should be starting small to build it. I would start with some snails and possibly a crab or one small fish. wait a week or so to add another. shrimp are fairly sensitive, so put those off until you're tank has settled out from the added livestock.

if you ever decide you want corals, you should start testing for alkalinity and calcium at least.

anyone else have something to add?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:38 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

One month after the cycle you can add one small fish. Add further small fish one month apart.
Impatience (ichy) is the number one cause of failure of new reefers.
Be cool, ask here before you buy and you will avoid many of the problems you read about here.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:46 AM

I probably should have mentioned that I already have 2 small hermits 3 bumblebee snails and a (rented) Sea Hare in the tank. I was getting essentially zero out of the skimmer until I put the Sea Hare in there last Sunday and then I got a little skimmate so my gut tells me things are as they should be but there is just very very little bio load in the tank.

My plan is to add very little and leave several weeks in between additions at the very least so I can gain a sense of the extra load each animal brings. With just a 29 Gal tank and no sump, there's not going to be a ton of stuff in this tank anyhow.

If I can keep this going without killing everything in it then the plan is to go to something closer to 100 Gal, drilled, with overflow and a sump; proper lights etc. Just don't tell my wife

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 AM

Great approach.
BTW dont wait too late to return the sea hare. As you know they eat hair algae very quickly and it easy to forget they are out of food and they starve.

And remember the key mantra of all us married types "What do you mean new fish (or coral)? I have had that coral for months!"

Last edited by naesco; 03-12-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

You need a big stingray, you can handle it... They don't need much room...

HEHEHE, just kidding. check out www.liveaquaria.com, I think I told you about that place. Great for pic's and overall stats on each type of fish. Since you can't have many fish, take your time and choose wisely.

Have fun!!!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Sea Hare goes back to Red Coral on Sunday. That'll be 1 week in total. I figure it's good for it to get a little bit hungry so it looks hard for all the scraps it missed before !

As for the wife, thanks for the tip ! I'm planning strategy for a new tank already -tell me if you think this will fly:

Wife: " What's with the big new tank in the living room ?"
Me: " New tank !? What new tank ?"
Wife: <sarcastic look on her face>"The big, new glass thing with water in it.."
Me: <puzzled look like she's nuts> "It's the same tank -I just did a big water change and the clean water increases the refraction index making the tank appear bigger. I could explain refraction to you -but it's pretty technical"
Wife: "Uh-huh. And the ridiculously bright lights over it ?"
Me: "oh...uhh...yeah, those are new -but they weren't expensive
Wife:" Right. Any idea why the electrical meter is spinning so fast ? Should it be making a high pitched whine like that ?"

Old 03-12-2010, 05:06 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
Sea Hare goes back to Red Coral on Sunday. That'll be 1 week in total. I figure it's good for it to get a little bit hungry so it looks hard for all the scraps it missed before !

As for the wife, thanks for the tip ! I'm planning strategy for a new tank already -tell me if you think this will fly:

Me: <puzzled look like she's nuts> "It's the same tank -I just did a big water change and the clean water increases the refraction index making the tank appear bigger. I could explain refraction to you -but it's pretty technical"
Wife:" Right. Any idea why the electrical meter is spinning so fast ? Should it be making a high pitched whine like that ?"
Let me know how that goes.

Lot's of good deals on Canreef right now.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post

LOL, And if things get pretty testy, check for clothing, jewellry, purses, cosmetics, etc. reciepts in her purse, glove compartment and trunk. Also be seen moving the hangers in her closet one by one and asking her whether this dress or whatever is new. She will tell you it is not new she had it for a long time and than enjoy your tank.