Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 PM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road
Default How do I get rid of Clove Polyps?

I have a small but spreading colony of Clove Polyps introduced from a frag that has infested some of my live rock and is starting to encroach upon some of my SPS colonies. Anybody have a good suggestions for getting rid of it? All my live rock is secured with acrylic rod and epoxy, so it can't be moved. Should I just razor blade it off and suck up the bits and pieces?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Which kind of cloves are they?

You should deal with them but FWIW, if its the smaller types that grow close to rocks, they won't bother sps. I had them grow right up to the encrusting part of sps and they loose out to the sps right away. This was the blue cloves though and I am not sure about other types.

I also have seen an sps tank where all the rocks were covered in blue cloves and all the sps were fine. Even some of the less aggressive sps like digis had no problem fighting them off and most acros encrusted right over the polyps.

The only thing I can think of and its not a for sure thing is to rip as many off the rock as possible and cover it very well with epoxy. I did this with xenia and it worked.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 PM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Which kind of cloves are they?

You should deal with them but FWIW, if its the smaller types that grow close to rocks, they won't bother sps. I had them grow right up to the encrusting part of sps and they loose out to the sps right away. This was the blue cloves though and I am not sure about other types.

I also have seen an sps tank where all the rocks were covered in blue cloves and all the sps were fine. Even some of the less aggressive sps like digis had no problem fighting them off and most acros encrusted right over the polyps.

The only thing I can think of and its not a for sure thing is to rip as many off the rock as possible and cover it very well with epoxy. I did this with xenia and it worked.

Good luck!
These are a very dull tan anthelia sp. I'd like to get rid of them now in case they are a problem. They have really started to spread in the past two weeks.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:05 AM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem. Mines a little more out of hand, but they don't hurt anything, they just look ugly. Turns out they're very susceptible to kalk slurry. I've managed to get rid of a lot of them that way. I'm just a little too lazy to really do the job right