Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-24-2009, 01:45 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road
Default Dream sump

so i managed to find a 6 foot by 3 foot by 1 foot (lxwxh) 2" drilled sump in the alley lol it is in great condition in the new year will be building the tank into the wall and having the sump in the next room and just wondering how would you design it as per putting baffles in ?? i am going to leave a area in there and get a mantis shrimp and need a area for the bubble king skimmer going to run the pump external just wondering how to place the baffles and what height water level needs to be 8-10 inches for skimmer
Old 12-24-2009, 03:57 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

You just found it in your back alley?
Old 12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Man you lucky dawg. I would run the baffles in the circle way start with one end where the BK skimmer is going to sit. then run the baffles around the tank ending up back to a compart ment then you can ensure that the water is leaving all the crap in the baffles and not going back to yoru main display. its like polishing the water.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:31 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

yeah i was at aquarium illusions one day and it was sitting there so i asked and they gave it to me funny story but it is nice lol so do i want the water to flow under the baffles or over them ?? i am new at the sump thing and have only ever bought sumps and well there all different looking at what will make a sump from everyones experiences thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 08:47 PM
bvlester

Yaw that tank has been there for a long time if it is the same one they tried to get me to take many years ago. Apparently they made it for some one and he backed out of the deal. They then had it sitting in there back storage area and when they setup the 500g DT by the front window they used it as a bio mud bed for filtering the water. It was an experiment for a while as the tank didn’t have a skimmer on it for the longest time. Yup I new them when they first got into salt water, I also know the guy that set everything up for them in the beginning.
I for get his name but I would recognize him if I ran into him.

Bill

Last edited by bvlester; 12-24-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:02 AM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

The often three baffles configured together that have water flowing over the first one, under the second one and then again over the third one are collectively known as a bubble trap. This baffle design often follows the skimmer chamber as water exiting a protein skimmer can be extremely aerated and this trap helps the bubbles to collect at the surface resting against the second baffle while clear "airless water" glides peacefully under the surface under the second baffle and then again over the third back to the display tank.

There are some single baffle configurations after a chamber like a refugium where bubbles wouldnt be forming.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:21 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Going from one end and working towards the other and assuming 10" of water I would put in a filter sock, then have a 8" baffle followed by a 24" regium that would overflow onto a flat piece of glass with 2 holes drilled in it for 2 filter socks, I would then leave 14" for a skimmer. Now 12" from the other end I would put in 3 baffles to take out micro bubble and have my return pump(s). Between the return pump and the skimmer I would fill that with Live rock or hang a light over it and use it as a built in frag tank. Personally I would do the 2nd one.

Now to explain it for the sock before the refugium I would have a drain line going to the 2nd set of socks with a "Y" on it and a ball valve. One end of the "Y" with the ball valve would run to the single sock before the refuigium and the other "Y" would go the the 2nd set of socks. The ball valve is so that you can control the flow going to the fuge. A 2nd line would run right to the 2nd set of socks.

Incase you can figure out my typed description something like this.