Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 AM

Albertan22 is on a distinguished road
Default To those of you who DON'T quarantine...

I've been trying to go the QT everything route with my new tank, but so far only 2 out of 4 fish I've put through QT have survived, and the 5th is currently lying on the bottom breathing heavily. I just did a 50% water change, but I don't think he'll survive the night. I'm getting very frustrated as the QT process is costing time, money and lives of fish. My fish seem to thrive in the first week or two. They eat well after a day or two, and come out to see me when I approach the tank, then a week or so in they stop eating and just die. I don't know if it's stress or water quality (it's hard to keep up with the water changes, even with a fully cycled sponge).

I know there's a large camp of people out there who don't QT, even some who think that QT does more harm than good. I was wondering for those that don't QT, do you use any prophylactic treatments before you add your fish to the tank? My biggest fear is adding ich or something like marine velvet to my tank, can you just treat fish and add them straight to the tank without a QT process?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:11 AM

upthecreekwithoutapaddle is on a distinguished road

there is those of us who dont QT or dip. fish and coral goes streight into the system. never had an issue. (touch wood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertan22 View Post
I've been trying to go the QT everything route with my new tank, but so far only 2 out of 4 fish I've put through QT have survived, and the 5th is currently lying on the bottom breathing heavily. I just did a 50% water change, but I don't think he'll survive the night. I'm getting very frustrated as the QT process is costing time, money and lives of fish. My fish seem to thrive in the first week or two. They eat well after a day or two, and come out to see me when I approach the tank, then a week or so in they stop eating and just die. I don't know if it's stress or water quality (it's hard to keep up with the water changes, even with a fully cycled sponge).

I know there's a large camp of people out there who don't QT, even some who think that QT does more harm than good. I was wondering for those that don't QT, do you use any prophylactic treatments before you add your fish to the tank? My biggest fear is adding ich or something like marine velvet to my tank, can you just treat fish and add them straight to the tank without a QT process?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 AM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Same here, never quarantine. Mind you I usually, but not always visit the LFS several times before buying the fish, also has to eat prior to the sale. Have not had a problem for the last year and a half. I have lost fish, but not to disease, usually from other fish beating on them.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

IMO there are a few rules you must follow.
1. Never buy a fish that you do not see eating. Dont be bashful. Ask the LFS guy to feed the fish and if he is not eating aggressively pass on the fish. The fish was just recently feed is not a good excuse.
2. Leave the fish at the lfs a week and than come back a see that it is free of spots, redness tears etcetera. Dont accept the fish unless it is 100% healthy, alert. Just as happy to you see as you to see her.
3. Acclimate the fish carefully. Close off the tank lights for two day to give her a chance to settle down with her tank mates and reduce her stress.
4. Feed garlic soaked food with a little selcon to avoid the possibility of ich or some minor bacterial/fungal infection.
5. Have a QT set up and ready to go just in case a problem develops.
Good Luck
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 AM

tlo is on a distinguished road

I qt everything b/f it goes in my tank. I have lost some fish in qt, but I think I would have lost them anyways if they went straight into the system. This way I can catch it soon and hopefully treat it. I keep my water parameters the same as in the dt (unless I am treating ick w hyposalinity) and this way it is less stressful on the fish when it's time for transferring.

Do you test the sg of the water of your lfs? Some stores keep their water sg pretty low- if there is a large difference b/t your water and the stores this could account for some deaths.
What size tank is your qt? Depending on the size and type of the fish - if the tank is too small - the stress could lead to death.
Do you have hiding places for the fish?
Are you monitoring water quality? -In a small tank ammonia and nitrates can build up fast.
another thing to think about is the quality of the suppliers that the lfs uses. If a fish is cyanide caught it will appear healthy, then die a few weeks later. Other than buying MAC certified fish, there is really no way of knowing for sure . Your best bet is to buy from high quality fish stores.

Last edited by tlo; 12-02-2009 at 03:05 AM. Reason: last point
Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road
Default same

i am the same i have had a problem with overstocking too quickly and introducing ich but that was my fault i am always leery when buying the fish i try to go places that i know they are quarantined in the store and have good suppliers and fish has to always eat before i take it. i am fussy as to what i feed are you unthawing or soaking with garlic feed high quality food eg pe mysis and soak in vitamins when feed makes a big difference to fish immune system if the other fish in the tank are healthy chances are you wont get outbreak. Stores in the area that have good supliers and qt fish are Aquarium illusions Marine Aquaria and Blue world the other stores are questionable to say the least you go to the store and almost every tank has sick or dead fish
Old 12-02-2009, 04:18 AM

Albertan22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlo View Post
Do you test the sg of the water of your lfs? Some stores keep their water sg pretty low- if there is a large difference b/t your water and the stores this could account for some deaths.
What size tank is your qt? Depending on the size and type of the fish - if the tank is too small - the stress could lead to death.
Do you have hiding places for the fish?
Are you monitoring water quality? -In a small tank ammonia and nitrates can build up fast.
another thing to think about is the quality of the suppliers that the lfs uses. If a fish is cyanide caught it will appear healthy, then die a few weeks later. Other than buying MAC certified fish, there is really no way of knowing for sure . Your best bet is to buy from high quality fish stores.
I`ve been keeping the sg of the QT tank close to the lfs`, then gradually bringing it up to match my DT by not topping off completly with fresh water in the final week of QT. For all the fish I`ve lost I haven`t made it the step where I`m bringing the sg up though. The QT is 29 gallons with some pvc fittings in it, I would think this would be big enough for the two clowns I lost and the royal grama that is currently in distress. I`ve been watching nitrites and nitrates but my ammonia test kit won`t work on tap water that`s been treated for chlorine and chloramines. I think it picks up the bound up ammonia that results from the chloramine treatment. I`ve been using tap water because there`s no corals in that tank and it`s cheaper than running my RODI given the higher amount of water changes necessary for the QT tank. The fish I`ve lost all came from a combination of reputable stores that are well liked on these forums... I don`t know, maybe these fish just weren`t going to make it. One of the clowns ended up with something growing out of its head the day before it died, I was thankful that fish wasn`t put directly into my DT...
Old 12-02-2009, 04:25 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road
Default fish

fish listed usualy do better not being quarantined some fish cant handle the stress of being in solitary but thats my experience
Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

It can also be your acclimation methods, we are trying to get most of our customers used to a "drip method" instead of just adding water every few minutes. It has shown us a considerable improvement in our survival rate of our shipments.

Another product you should consider is anything to increase the fishes imune system, as some members have mentioned, garlic, selconm in their diets, or products like ImmunoVital.

You can also add a small bubbler in the QT tank to increase the oxygen in the water.

These suggestions would definatel help the fishes survival rate.

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 12-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Black Phantom is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat. My record for quarantine is not very good. Even with proper acclimation and a well established qt tank.
Now I rarely buy fish from an LFS and wait to find the right one on these forums. That way I know if the fish is healthy and eating, and the stress of a quick move is less.
So far I have never lost a fish from a fellow reefer and no other problems as well.