Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 08-15-2009, 10:40 PM

carnut is on a distinguished road
Default unique fish????

Set up a 30 gallon nano tank. It's got rock and corals and a few sps. looking to add a fish or two. Looking for something truly different.Any ideas, no clown, gobies, filefish. Any ideas? adult size no matter, i have an understocked 300 and 150, Just trying to get something different. Have been looking at a leaf fish.

tank 2 300 gallon mixed reef. 3 evergrow It5080, skimmer bubble king

Last edited by carnut; 08-16-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road
Default Unique Fish

Hi,What about a cool looking Angler or Frog fish?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:27 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

+1 on the mini angler!

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Hmm 30 gallon... that's about Fu Manchu lion territory. How about a small predator tank? (I don't know how well they would mix with a frogfish )
Old 08-16-2009, 08:28 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

boo to the fu manchu. that fish shouldn't even be in the trade considering it's success rate.

How about a dwarf eel like G. melatremus? or a ghost eel (Uropterygius concolor)? they should play nice with the angler or leaf fish. If price isn't an object, how about a rhinopias? or a candy basslet (Liopropoma carmabi) if you don't go with the predator theme?

note that a nano predator tank isn't done often because of the high bioload it produces... especially not conducive towards SPS tanks.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Hmm thanks justin, well noted. I didn't realize that Fu Manchus have a low success rate, I'll have to read some more. I realize that nano predator tanks aren't done often, I just thought it would be interesting... and I just reread the original post and noted the SPS. Didn't read clearly, apparently.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 AM

carnut is on a distinguished road
Default fish

The tank was caused by a raccoon butterfly picking at my assuie acans. It leaves the indo alone, but really took to these. After the great sell or leave in the frag debate, we put this tank together. looking at a scorpion leaf fish right now.sps are just broken frags which can be moved. Mama is not found of live food so hence no lionfish.

tank 2 300 gallon mixed reef. 3 evergrow It5080, skimmer bubble king
Old 08-16-2009, 03:59 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
boo to the fu manchu. that fish shouldn't even be in the trade considering it's success rate.

How about a dwarf eel like G. melatremus? or a ghost eel (Uropterygius concolor)? they should play nice with the angler or leaf fish. If price isn't an object, how about a rhinopias? or a candy basslet (Liopropoma carmabi) if you don't go with the predator theme?

note that a nano predator tank isn't done often because of the high bioload it produces... especially not conducive towards SPS tanks.
I've never heard of the fu man chu being anymore difficult to keep than any other lionfish. All the ones I've seen at the LFS adapted much better than other types. I've also had one for over a year and it has always been easy to feed.

The rhino, leaf, and frog are however much more difficult. I've kept all three before and I probably won't keep them again because of the special requirements involved. I have also kept a white ribbon eel for a long time, although it's a great addition and easy to keep, 30 gallons may be a little small and they can get into tiny holes and escape tanks very easily. You would have to "ribbon eel proof" the tank which can be fairly difficult.

Predator and reef is not done often but it's not difficult. Most predators like lionfish are not very active meaning they use less energy than most reef fish, so you actually can feed them less. Check out my tank, not too many fish but my bioload is small, I go through much less food than I did with a more standard reef tank.

Last edited by sphelps; 08-16-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:15 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

A small predator tank would be pretty cool, with smaller fishes, such as: a dwarf lion, small eel, hawkfish, dwarf puffer. (The puffer may be trouble though, fin-nipping the lion).
Old 08-17-2009, 02:59 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I've never heard of the fu man chu being anymore difficult to keep than any other lionfish. All the ones I've seen at the LFS adapted much better than other types. I've also had one for over a year and it has always been easy to feed.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2004/fish.htm

I don't mean any offense, but your one success alone doesn't outweigh the majority. I honestly don't know much about keeping rhinopias or leafs. I always thought frogfish were supposed to be pretty easy to keep. True that the eel would require escape proofing; forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Predator and reef is not done often but it's not difficult. Most predators like lionfish are not very active meaning they use less energy than most reef fish, so you actually can feed them less. Check out my tank, not too many fish but my bioload is small, I go through much less food than I did with a more standard reef tank.
You could say the same for any fish, but good husbandry means feeding the proper amount of food, not the convenient amount.