Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 06-14-2009, 01:51 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road
Default Flow plan for my new tank.. enough???

Just starting to make plans for a new tank and am planning on a custom 36X24X24 in a peninsula style config on a custom stand as well. Just going through the flow possibilities in my mind and first thing I came up with was 2 nanostream 6055's on one end and the outputs of my closed loop on the other (possibly Sequence pump). Then I started thinking about simplifying things and thought maybe vortech's would be best.

Do you think that 2 MP20's would be OK? (both on the same end) or would one MP40 do? Or should I have even more? I've been rrading an awful lot of good things about the vortech route and it seems I could greatly simplify things without sacrificing flow.... is that actually the case? Thanks a lot for your input in advance.

Oh, BTW, it's going to be (hopefully) an sps-dominated tank.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:12 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

I think your options will depend on your plans for the tank.
I assume you mean that the tank will be viewable from both sides and 1 end pannels?
If so having powerheads on the viewable end will kinda suck so i think vortechs on the nonviewable end would be nicer.
Also if both side pannels are viewable then the rocks will probably be stacked dpwn the center of the tank so 1 vortec wont be that great, 1 vortech blowing down each side of the rockwork would be much better, mp20's shpuld be plenty in a 36" tank but if the money isnt a factor i would get mp40's and dial them back a bit if needed rather than find out you dont have enough power.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I sent Steve a link to this for his input, he built the same size/design and had things flowing pretty good.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Since you mentioned a SPS Dominated tank, I'm curious which softies/lps you are looking to keep...

2 MP20's would be 44x turnover + your return from the sump.
2 MP40's would be 71x turnover + your return from the sump.

That's only of course if you are running them at 100%.. I think closed loops are great, I got one myself, but I just got my hands on a MP20, and I gotta admit, it is a sweet piece of kit!

For you tank I would probably go with 2 MP20's plus your sump return. Only because you might have softies/lps... if it was 100% SPS, I'd recommend the 2x MP40 route.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Since you mentioned a SPS Dominated tank, I'm curious which softies/lps you are looking to keep...

2 MP20's would be 44x turnover + your return from the sump.
2 MP40's would be 71x turnover + your return from the sump.

That's only of course if you are running them at 100%.. I think closed loops are great, I got one myself, but I just got my hands on a MP20, and I gotta admit, it is a sweet piece of kit!

For you tank I would probably go with 2 MP20's plus your sump return. Only because you might have softies/lps... if it was 100% SPS, I'd recommend the 2x MP40 route.
wow, really? 2 mp40's??? As far as LPS go, I have a Fungia, Favites, turbinaria reniformis (hard to figure out where to put that one, it's not quite an SPS and not quite an LPS, probably more like an SPS though) , I just discovered I have an encrusting Goniopora (didn't know what it was before), and my only softies are a Cladiella (my wife likes it) and zoas. The rest are montis, acros, porites, styos, seriatopora, a couple of echinos, and the like. Oh, and I have a couple of photosynthetic gorgonians as well, and some gsp and a tubipora. And 2 clams.... gee I have more stuff than I thought, all piles into a 33 gallon right now!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I sent Steve a link to this for his input, he built the same size/design and had things flowing pretty good.
Thanks a lot, I'd be interested to hear what he has to say. I only want to do this once i.e. the right way the first time! I have wasted so much money on equipment upgrades since I started the hobby, it would boggle the mind!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
I think your options will depend on your plans for the tank.
I assume you mean that the tank will be viewable from both sides and 1 end pannels?
If so having powerheads on the viewable end will kinda suck so i think vortechs on the nonviewable end would be nicer.
Also if both side pannels are viewable then the rocks will probably be stacked dpwn the center of the tank so 1 vortec wont be that great, 1 vortech blowing down each side of the rockwork would be much better, mp20's shpuld be plenty in a 36" tank but if the money isnt a factor i would get mp40's and dial them back a bit if needed rather than find out you dont have enough power.
Yes, I want it to be viewable from both sides and one end as you say. I was kind of concerned about having the vortechs only because it seems like all my flow would be originating from only one side, but after reading what I have about the vortech pumps, it seems like it will produce excellent flow through the whole tank anyway, correct?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:54 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

they definatly provide the widest flow pattern but the only way its gonna cove both the viewable sides is if its placed in the center, but having the tank viewable from both sides implies that the rock will be stacked down the center of the tank. is that your plans? if so having 1 vortec in the center is just gonna blow strait into the rocks and not really provide flow to the whole tank,
in my opinion even a mp40 isnt gonna provide overly strong flow after 36" of tank
i really think your decision is gonna depend on your layout of the tank and the budget you have to spend.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:18 AM

yep, rock in the middle, maybe in a couple of "towers" with swimming space between. I want a lean layout this time instead of the "wall of rock" i have usually had.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:13 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlreefguy View Post
yep, rock in the middle, maybe in a couple of "towers" with swimming space between. I want a lean layout this time instead of the "wall of rock" i have usually had.
Then put your flow generator (vortech, tunze, closed loop w/eductor - doesn't really matter which one) in the hidden end off to one side and you'll have a Gyre. It works the same way as a whirlpool that builds up centrifugal force as it spins round and round. It works best with an up/down pulse. If you want really fancy then simply put a flow source alternating on each side for reversing Gyres.