Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM

alfredshouse is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Help! Yellow Carpet Anemone

I bought a Yellow Carpet Anemone from King Ed last Saturday. I told the guy there that I was running VHOs and he said that would be fine. Ive watched him go from having long plump tubes with bright purple tips to a squished up, shrizzled lump that is closed up. Ive fed him krill and hes still not happy. My parameter are PH 1.023, NH 0.08, NO2 0.1 etc and I dont know what to do.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road
Default Stress

It's not uncommon for Carpet Anemones to be stressed out during a move. What is the size of your tank, the current lights you are running and the current flow. Any tissue necrosis or is it just really sucked up?
Levi
Old 02-08-2009, 10:47 PM

Default Yellow carpet anemone

The tank is 160gl and I have a FX5 filter and a Koralia 4. The tubes dont really look dead they just look shrizzled.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 PM

Default yellow carpet anemone

Oh yeah, my lights a 6 VHO and 2 are actinic. Measuring 4ft each in a tank 6ft long, I have them staggered.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road
Default Freshwater

Please, do yourself a favor and take that FX5 and sell it! Great for freshwater but can cause some major problems a little later for salt. It sounds like the guy is just a little stressed out, possibly from the tank move, give him a few weeks (if he puffs up he's ready to eat otherwise DONT feed him). Could be the lights, could be the system but if he doesn't get better its either an indicator of something wrong with the system or something wrong with him.
Either way, good luck!
Levi
Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Can't really add more advice here, but .. I do have some bad news for you. Yellow tells me two things: one, most likely it is a gigantea and two, it has no zooxanthellae (yellow carpets with a healthy zooxanthellae population appear more brown or sometimes green). Bad news on both accounts because gigantea's have a *terrible* survivalibity rate from collection adapting into captivity, two, it's going to be something of an uphill struggle to eek it along into that zone of "adapted into captivity." Once there, gigantea's are beautiful carpets and tend to be rock-solid, easygoing aquarium specimens but the rough reality is that it's maybe 1 in 10 that will get to that point. I'm not trying to make you lose all hope, I'm sorry, but the flip side is there kind of really is no sugar coating this, carpets have horrendous survival rates and it's nothing we as aquarists can truly influence: either the damage is done prior to purchase, or some specimens simply don't have what it takes to adapt to captive life outside of the tropics. We don't really know why.