Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road
Default Eheim 1260 Owners

I just bought a used Eheim 1260 that has a crack in the housing. The seller reported that they had the pump "checked out" and that the damage was only cosmetic.

I submerged the pump in fresh tap water and tested for voltage leak and got a reading of 12 V AC. This seems quite high to me but I'm not sure if it's a consequence of the pump housing being cracked or if it's typical of this pump.

What I'd really appreciate is if someone with a 1260 could test their pump while it's submerged in a bucket with tap water?

I don't actually intend to run the pump submerged anyway though. I plan on running it externally as a return pump but I'm concerned that if the crack has something to do with the voltage leak then the crack might also lead to water leak eventually (how unfounded that concern is I'm not sure).
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 12-28-2008, 10:43 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

So the buyer lied to you then what a crap out that was.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

I don't think the seller lied to me. She had someone at J&L check the pump and they told her it was cosmetic.

For what it's worth I just checked a spare Tunze 6025 Nanostream I have kicking around and it's dumping 22 V AC. So now I'm going to have to go through all my equipment and test each piece individually because I'm shocked that this Nanostream is so sketchy (plus I have 2 of them in my tank right now as it is).
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 12-29-2008, 02:52 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

may be its your meter then .
Old 12-29-2008, 02:54 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Can anybody explain How do i test it ?
I got Tunze and Eheim in my tank
thank you.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 PM

spreerider is on a distinguished road

Attach one lead of your meter to a grounding rod in your tank and another to you ground connection for electricity (the third prong)

You will get some induced voltage from any motor in saltwater, its not easy to shield this all and no pump manufacturer to my knowledge sheiths their cables in braid or their motors in copper braid,
so as the ac current expands and contracts its magnetic field, the field causes a voltage to be generated in any conductive compounds or semi conductors, this is how generators and motors work.
Saltwater has the ability to work as a sort of battery and hold a charge generated by these fields.
If you test the ocean i bet you would get a small voltage as well,
Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreerider View Post
Attach one lead of your meter to a grounding rod in your tank and another to you ground connection for electricity (the third prong)

You will get some induced voltage from any motor in saltwater, its not easy to shield this all and no pump manufacturer to my knowledge sheiths their cables in braid or their motors in copper braid,
so as the ac current expands and contracts its magnetic field, the field causes a voltage to be generated in any conductive compounds or semi conductors, this is how generators and motors work.
Saltwater has the ability to work as a sort of battery and hold a charge generated by these fields.
If you test the ocean i bet you would get a small voltage as well,
yup, and this is what you take into account when you set up anodes on ships. my using a silver silver chliride cell you can measure the electric charge in the area you are in and then add or remove zink to make your stuff not rust. or you can impress it with another electric current.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.