Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-07-2008, 01:20 AM

fishguyxd is on a distinguished road
Default hid's or those white headlights

I would like to get some for my car but not sure what type or how well there really do work
Do they really give you better vision of the road are there any special color (white or bluish) I should look for or brands ie pia or silverstar ,etc

Just looking for info thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 02:27 AM

heyfredyourhat is on a distinguished road

We use silverstars on our customers vehicles. They are cheap compared to a piaa, and they are a decent bulb for a plug and play. I really like theones witht eh little ballast/ transformer things...Not sure if aftermarket ones can be used in place of a "standard" bulb(9003...9007)...I have only seen them in higher end cars (bmw, MB, but i did see one in a new nissan titan)
Old 11-07-2008, 02:55 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

not sure which is better but you can get HID conversion kits to replace standard bulbs.

What I've been wondering how well they work on nano tanks.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

They are a PITA on a tank. I've got 4 on my 33 gal. You'll need a 10 amp powersupply for each bulb. You'll need to figure out some sort of reflector. The ballasts get really hot and burn out quickly. I think they would be better in a car as the airflow would keep them cool. Not sure how long the lamps themselves last as the ballasts all fried before the bulbs. The light is decent and the bulbs are available in various K ratings. I never did take pics of them when they were running, it's too late now.

Save your money and buy a MH, way less hassle and better life span, in my experience.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:32 AM

Stones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguyxd View Post
I would like to get some for my car but not sure what type or how well there really do work
Do they really give you better vision of the road are there any special color (white or bluish) I should look for or brands ie pia or silverstar ,etc

Just looking for info thanks
I just finished installing a HID kit in my Ford F150. Really easy to do and what a difference. I thought the standard headlights were pretty decent but now I can see much further and the biggest bonus is the extended peripheral vision. The HID lights totally illuminate both ditches and probably about 25 yards out into the fields on both sides. I chose to go with 8K colour temp as the 10K are really blue (what you'd see in mercedes and BMW's). Also, 8Ks attract less "attention" from the RC's as drop in HID kits are "technically" illegal.

One thing to look out for is to make sure you get a kit that has both high beam and low beam capabilities. For a single bulb system, these are called bi-xenon bulbs but if your vehicle relies on having seperate headlights for the highs and lows, you would have to install 2 kits if you wanted to replace both the high and low beams with HIDs. You could probably just replace the high beams though as that is where HIDs really pull their weight.

I ordered my kit from this website.
http://www.retro-solutions.com/store.html

Top shelf customer support and everything you need to install is there, not like most of the kits on ebay. Lifetime warranty on all parts accept the bulbs themselves. I'd highly recommend this product to anyone interested in upgrading to HIDs. I was fairly skeptical when I first ordered but now I don't think I'll ever own a vehicle again that doesn't have HID headlights.

Hope the info helps. If you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 AM

tgoeujon is on a distinguished road

avoid the blues or any color other than white, if you get a cop thats a dick there not legal to use while driving
Old 11-07-2008, 03:40 AM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

Its funny how those are illegal 'aftermarket'...but my Audi had the same lights factory. Most BMW's, New Hondas, New Acuras, New Toyotas, Lexus, Mercedes and so many more come factory and are obviously legal. As long as they arnt staight blue you should have no problem with the police. They really should have better things to do.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 AM

amazing how those are all imports huh? and none are actually straight up blue. all i specified was straight up colors not shades but thanks for reminding me to clarify
Old 11-07-2008, 03:56 AM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

Ive seen people driving with colors such as green and yellow before.... Im just thinking ohhhhh your looking for it now. ha.

MY buddy put bluey ones in his rsx. Within one week he had a fix it ticket. Like tgoeujon said avoid the blues and stick with the bright whites. Then you have no problem.

Like others said I think they are completely worth it for the overall visibility they add.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:01 AM

i thought you were callin me a liar, sorry ryan lap, totally read that wrong lol