Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2008, 07:55 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grouper Owners!

I was just writing about my White Edged Lyretail Groupers appetite in another thread and thought I would see how many other grouper owners there are here or any experiences.

Last month I bought a 240G tank (8'x2'x2') while he was in QT. Planning for the future But now I am not so sure it will even be big enough. The problem is how much he eats!

He is about 8-9" now and could reach up to 2' but apparently way more likely to stay about 20". So one problem is that 2' would be the same as the width of the tank I have spoke to experienced owners on RC though who say more like 18"-20". Second problem may be how much he eats! LOL.

At 8-9" he is an eating machine already. I dont think he is ever full really.

Last night he ate a prawn and a half for dinner and then ate chromis all night. I think 4 but I haven't really counted yet. The prawns were the 2" tiger prawns, so not the tiny little ones. I don't want to think about how much he will eat in a few years.

What an amazing fish though! He really gives my dogface puffer a run for his money when it comes to personality. He is such an active fish. I have heard they are one of the most active groupers which I really like. Always swimming. Not like a lot of groupers that lay around all day.

So whats your experience with groupers?