Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road
Default Lecture from LFS

Wow did I get a lecture from this store owner yesterday. We were discussing the faulty heater I purchased from him which brought us to discussing my tank temperature.
When I told him I was trying to maintain 79-80 degress he went right off on me. Basically telling me I was an idiot and that anything above 75 will cause my corals to bleach and that my fish won't live near as long.

Eventually I had to tell him that I didn't want to sit and argue with him on the phone about it, we just didn't agree and I wanted to research more first.

He told me that he has numerous reef tanks, one of which he hasn't touched in 8 years, including feeding the fish. No water changes at all, nothing except dosing. The fish eat the algae and pods in the tank.
He seems to know what he is talking about, he started his first reef at 13 yrs of age and it's still running at his mom's house. I think it is the tank he hasn't touched in 8 yrs. He says he is always adjusting parameters to study the affects and 75 degress is the temperature that delivers the best results, in color, longevity, reproduction and growth.

I know I haven't been at this long, but everything I have read has lead me to believe that 77-81 degress is considered safe. He was arguing that we are trying to match the ocean. Which according to him never gets above 75, not any ocean he's been in anyways, and he tests.

Of course I would like some clarification on this, if possible. LOL I know everyone has a difference of opinion. I just want to make sure that I am not running my system too hot and causing my corals to bleach. I just started my system and my corals are all new to me so I don't know exactly what color they should be. Everything seems healthy and appears to be growing at this point.

My tank is LPS dominant with 3 little SPS frags.

Thanks!

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 03-13-2008, 04:55 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

77-81 is fine! I've kept SPS at those temperatures for a few years with no problems like he has cited. You can take a look at Wet Web Media, or a few recent polls for ideas on where most people keep their tanks.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:55 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Direct him to any RC Tank of the Month for a looksee.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/past.php
Old 03-13-2008, 05:01 PM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

So is he going to replace your heater? I have kept my tanks between 78-81 for the last 2 years.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:02 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I've always been in the 79-81 range from night to day.

But.. I guess what works for one person does not always work for the next.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-13-2008, 05:06 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

That's ridiculous. Temperatures in shallow coastal waters can soar to almost 100 degress, and get very cold at greater depths (in the 30's). There is abundant life at all levels!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 03-13-2008, 05:12 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road

Anybody who says 'their' way is the 'only' way shouldn't be listened to in this hobby.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:15 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhchris View Post
So is he going to replace your heater? I have kept my tanks between 78-81 for the last 2 years.
Yes, well Aqua Medic are going to, the heater and controller.

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 03-13-2008, 05:25 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'd say he pretty much invalidated his position when he said he hasn't fed his fish in years.

But anyhow, for what it's worth, I'm no world-class diver by any stretch, but I did dive and snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef in 2001, and I remember vividly that the water temperature was 26 (which converts to 79F). And this was considered "cold" for most of the Aussies on the boat with us. The 2 Canadians (my wife & I) were the only fools who went into the water without wetsuits. (I mean, come on, 26C? The water in BC is, what, maybe 12C? Maybe 15C? And people swim in it all the time. Compared to that the GBR was like swimming in bathtub warm water!)

But Drew is right: temperatures fluctuate not only with geographic regions, but with depth and .. well heck ever stick your finger in a tidepool at high noon? And things live through that.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post
Anybody who says 'their' way is the 'only' way shouldn't be listened to in this hobby.

So true!