Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-28-2006, 05:01 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default rebuilding the reef.

Well Saturday I finally got off my lazy a$$ and tore the tank down, scraped the coralline off the glass and drained it.. scraped more coralline and siphoned the crud out of the bottom, after putting 5 gal of calurpa in my compost.

anyways once it was cleaned up I filled it dumped 2 gal of bleach in it and turned it on. tonight I neutralized the bleach and drained the tank, filled it, ran for 10 min and drained it again now I am filling it once more. if it runs clear I will be putting 5 gal of vinegar in it and running it while I am camping.

more to come.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:09 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Why bleach it, is the tank pretty grody? So no tank currently setup right now?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
Why bleach it, is the tank pretty grody? So no tank currently setup right now?
I have a tank in the garage with some rock, a few corals and a fish. I am bleaching it to be sure there are no surviving algae, or anything else in the pipe work, ect.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 07-09-2006, 11:07 PM

well cleaning process is over, 4 days running 100 gal system with 2 gal of bleach, the 8 water changes after neutralizing the bleach. 10 day of running with 5 gal of vinegar, and 4 water changes and on the last one I ran it for 24 hours with a double dose of tap water conditioner to make sure I got all the chemicals out.

now I am filling it with RO. I am going to fill it completely then mix the salt. as I add rock I will have to remove water but I will use that water to do a water change on my old rock I have cooking in the garage.

Steve

Old 07-18-2006, 06:29 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

How's it going now?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:38 PM

well, salinity is at 1.022, going to adjust it up a little more maybe after I check it tonight as that was with a high water level so I let it evaporate down to normal. I am not putting any rock in yet as I am painting out the front room as we speak. for thoes that are interested cloverdale paints makes a new one that has absolutly no smell (painted two coats of two walls on sunday night and then went for coffee... came home and you could not smell the new paint whats so ever)

looks like the rock survived the fresh water garage reef, lots of coraline still on it and snails and crabs still running around, so maybe by next weekend I will be ready to move stuff over... but I have to finnish painting first

Steve

Old 07-18-2006, 03:25 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Good to hear you didn't get much die-off.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
Good to hear you didn't get much die-off.
well aside from the 500.00 worth of corals I had in there

Steve

Old 07-18-2006, 10:45 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Oh I thought you just had a few frags, sorry!

Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
Oh I thought you just had a few frags, sorry!
3 frags at about 80.00 each to replace and a rather large brain which would probably be around 300.00 to replace.

Steve