Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-26-2006, 03:47 PM

DiscusZ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DiscusZ
Default Wai's going down hill?

I was at Wai's yesterday as I was itching to buy some corals, so the family went for a trek (I am near Spruce Meadows) we hit peters for Lunch, then hit Wai's. WOW has it changed there the corals did not look like the normally do.

Also he has such an outbreak of Aptasia it isnt even funny Some of them had heads that were larger than a toonie, pretty much every rock I saw had some

Its sad when there is only a few SW stores in the city and really only 1 that is worth hitting (not going to mention names) That has reasonably priced corals

I can see more person to person trading/selling

I will get off my soapbox now.

Jim
Old 03-26-2006, 05:33 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

dont agree I was also just there I think his coral tanks look really good.I did notice a few giant aptasia but still they are so hard to control.I just hate his prices.2 high that is why I go there and just look.Might buy a hermit crab when im there.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:34 PM

richtg is on a distinguished road

I have never had any aptasia, but I understand that it would be a major undertaking for a small lfs (with huge turnover) to prevent an outbreak of something or other. I think most of us know that Danny tries really hard to keep his tanks clean and healthy, and wants to sell good products.

Yes, I am defending him, and I will continue to shop there. Just know what you're buying, and inspect it first. Quarantine if need be. I have never been to a store and not found something undesirable in one tank or annother.

I'm not picking on you, Jim, but I think we should be a little more understanding of the efforts such a one-man operation puts forth.
90gal Starfire mixed reef, 400W MH (Giesemann 13K megachrome/Icecap E-ballast), (2) 54W T5 Giesemann true actinic, 45gal sump (65W 50/50 PC), ASM G-3 Skimmer, Mak 4 return, Sequence Dart closed loop, foam backdrop, 120 lbs LR, 2" sandbed, & 1 dillhole running the show.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:49 PM

Deathstar is on a distinguished road

I was there yesterday and I picked up a few fish. They are doing good. Wai's is a great store.

Eric
Old 03-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

This almost looks like one of those vendor ratings threads we don't allow.....
Old 03-26-2006, 11:47 PM

G1GY is on a distinguished road

Reefers are a very loyal bunch when they like who they're dealing with!

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET A BONG!?!

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
Old 03-27-2006, 04:04 AM

Cazoom is on a distinguished road
Default local fish stores

i'm here in Calgary for next few week...checked out Wai's and Gold's... as thats all you guys mention in forumns.....prices are high but.. hey i'm form Regina... you ain't seen nothin...and at least you have selection....
if anyone is fragging let me know as i am really interested in some frags as i run back to Regina everyweekend......
Old 03-27-2006, 06:04 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
interested in some frags as i run back to Regina everyweekend......
PM me or richtg for frag availability.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 03-29-2006, 06:32 PM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

Yeah Wai's seems over priced to you Calgarian's (compared to Gold's or Ocean's) but in Edmonton those prices at Wai's are standard or even a bit cheaper than here in Edmonton.

I have found that Wai's carries a lot of fish and inverts that you don’t typically see in other stores in both Calgary & Edmonton. Over the years I have picked up & brought back some nice species from Wai's, that I still own to this day.

Also here is a tip when shopping at Wai's... Don't be afraid to barter the price, he is flexible if he knows your serious buyer. I am always able to talk the owner down in price by anywhere from $5- $15 dollars over the years. Then again...Hopefully its not only cause I'm a girl.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 03-29-2006, 11:57 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

No... it's because your a girl