Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 08-29-2002, 02:46 PM

Old Guy is on a distinguished road
Default F32T8 to drive 1 VHO?

I'm wondering if I could run 1 48"/110w VHO with a F32T8 4 lamp ballast. I am currently running 2 t8's with it and would like to change to 1 vho if I can.TIA

Jeff
Old 08-30-2002, 01:21 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Be aware though that your bulb life will be shortened quite a bit but for the price diffrence between the two ballst's it probably is worth it for ya.
I got 7 od 4x bulbs, by the ballast you mention on my tank and the daylight last I would say 6 months or so then they start to get real black ends.
I may be just repeating stuff you know so i will stop rambling.
cheers [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2002, 02:38 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Man:
Be aware though that your bulb life will be shortened quite a bit but for the price diffrence between the two ballst's it probably is worth it for ya.
I got 7 od 4x bulbs, by the ballast you mention on my tank and the daylight last I would say 6 months or so then they start to get real black ends.
I may be just repeating stuff you know so i will stop rambling.
cheers [img]smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">um.. he isn't talking about overdriving a NO bulb anymore though.. he is talking about trying to get the proper amount of curent our of a T8 ballast to drive a VHO bulb.. I don't know if even with all 4 wires if you will be able to get the proper amount of curent to run at true VHO levels but you will certianly get as much power as a Icecap puts out.. when i did my tests 4 sets of leads only did slightly better than double the current, so still under 1 amp or up to a amp.. whare a proper VHO is 1.2 amps.. so inface the VHO will last longer than if ti was on a tar VHO ballast.

Steve
Old 08-30-2002, 03:07 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

At the full rate current (which is in the vicinity of 1.2 to 1.6 A), VHO's output drops off like a rock and they only last about 6 months.

So, the VHOs with reduced current should help things. I believe Darren had a thread on driving VHOs with Workhorses. The F32T8X4 ballast is basically the WH5 in a black steel case.

One thing to note is that the VHOs have a different connector than the T8s. So, you'll need those fancy connectors (similar to those waterproof ones from Icecap).

- Victor.

[ 29 August 2002, 23:08: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]
Old 08-30-2002, 04:01 AM

Hi,

Short answer...yes. 2x will underdrive by a lot (like a regular NO T12), but a 4x should put it in the same league (if not slightly higher) than the Icecap.

- Victor.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:16 AM

Thanks Victor,

Thats the answer I was hoping for :D
Old 08-30-2002, 01:09 PM

At the moment I have a WH7 running 2 bulbs and the F32T8 running 2. I acquired Darrens 660 of which I wanted to run 3 bulbs and separate switch the F32T8 for actinics.

I would then have the WH7 to run 2 95w on another tank.

For now I was just going to wire it and run NO bulbs until burnout, then replace with URI bulbs.

Victor, I did not know of different connectors. Maybe you could explain it to me. This hood is not exposed to moisture so I am currently using
normal leviton lampholders. Are these not ok for URI bulbs? Of course I can always stay with NO bulbs.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:22 PM

Hi,

I believe true VHO tubes have a small sleeve that prevents the VHOs from using the cheap Leviton connectors. It is like a small protective plastic around the two pins. The regular NOs don't have it, but the VHOs do have it. I saw this a long time ago, so things may have changed over the years. You might want to check it out before you buy your URI bulbs.

VHO : (from www.gelighting.com)

NO : (From www.gelighting.com)

- Victor.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:27 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Um.. Victor a VHO is a normal T12, same ends and everything.. what you are showing might be a specalized unit, but definatly not the norm.

Steve
Old 08-31-2002, 01:07 AM

Thanks Steve. I can't remember which lamps had the special connectors...maybe it was just a particular brand (Philips).

The other thing is....don't drive full VHO power levels in to a standard Leviton socket. Icecap levels are fine. These sockets are rated at 1A/600V/600W. 100% VHOs are running at 1.5A (at 100%)

- Victor.