Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-07-2005, 08:17 PM

Saltysteve is on a distinguished road
Default Feeding plan help (liquid life)

So I just got turned onto these Liquid Life products, Bio-Plankton and Coral Plankton as well as Selcon. Along with this I have frozen rotifier, mysis shrimp, bryne shrimp, reef plus and some OSI flake food and of course some seaweed select sheets

Until now I have been dropping in one cap full of reef plus every other day. Every 3 days I would feed a cube of mysis shrimp and a small pinch of flake. For treats, reef plus mixed in with bryne shrimp and I would hang a piece of seaweed for the tang every other day.

How the heck am I going to add these new products without having algae blooms

I would imagine the Selcon would replace the reef plus? I was also thinking a guy/gal could alternate spot feeding Bio then Coral plankton or could they be used together?

Hair Algae here I come! (again)

PS
How serious is the expiry date on these products? The one new bottle I just bought is expired in 4 weeks
I dislike learning curves (sometimes)

Thanks
Steve
Old 10-08-2005, 01:38 AM

Can anyone offer up some advice?
Old 10-09-2005, 03:37 PM

Maybe these products are not that widely used?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

I have never used those products with the exception of selcon which I will use to soak frozen and flake food in before feeding. For the majority of my feeding I use a mash that I make myself which I use a variety of fish and shellfish to which I add flake food, selcon, cyclopeeze and garlic. Works for me. In addition I add Ecosystems reef solution and live DT's. I have recently tried out the Phyto feast live and am quite impressed with that and will be switching as soon as my DT's run out.
Don't know if that helps or if any of these products are similar to the ones you were inquiring about.
FWIW I am going to be going to the zeovit system on my new setup and I know that some of these products have a shelf life that is fairly short.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Ruth.
My LHS stopped stocking the live foods. He figures the liquid life products are equal and he does not have to discard so much.
I wonder just how true that is. I fed my tank its first dose of Mysis Shrimp soaked in Selcon. No one ate it
Old 10-09-2005, 06:44 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

No problem. Like I said I add the selcon to my "homemade mash" and everyone gobbles it up - even my mandarins. When I do feed the frozen cubes of mysis what I do is thaw them using a net to discard any of the water they are frozen in then I add selcon and garlic. Maybe the garlic covers up the taste of the selcon but it is gone in seconds.
Also if you are thinking of getting live food - I have to have everything shipped - the phyto feast is definately the better value for your $. You add drops instead of capfuls so it goes a lot longer - also has a pretty long shelf life. I just had 2 bottles shipped up with my last coral shipment and it expires in January. I suspect that like most things it will still be Ok past then (good old smell test) but that is what they post for expiry.