Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 04-08-2005, 06:13 AM

BCWolfen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BCWolfen
Default Skimmer Setup

I have some questions regarding my skimmer and getting it running right.

I have a used ETSS (older version of the 600) style downdraft skimmer running off my LG 4MDQX-SC. The day I hooked it up it had great bubble production in the reaction chamber and started to produce skimate. Last week it overflowed and I have been having problems dialing it in. So questions.

1) I am drawing water from the input side of my sump by having the pumps intake line submersed in the sump. Should I be building an overflow style box to have it pull water from the surface? The intake side of my sump has lots of bubbles form my overflow and often looks like a skimmer itself with foamy surface.

2) When adjusting the skimmer I have only ever used the valve on the output to adjust the height of the water in the reaction chamber. I currently only have about 1" of water and then the air/water interface. If I go any higher it produces so much wet foam that my 5 gal bucket fills overnight. What exactly does the valve on the air intake adjust (I know I know more or less air injection lol) But what effect does that have on the skimmer. I currently run it wide open.

3) Pump flow. Could I be moving too much water through the skimmer? Should I be closing off the exit valve on the pump a bit to slow the flow down a bit?

I've read as much as I could on wetweb but I could not find a lot that really explains what effects each of the valves would have on the skimmer.

Thanks for the info.
Home:160Gal. Foxface, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Lawnmower Blenny, Starwberry Dottyback, Mandarin Goby, 2 Percula Clowns, Green Brittle Star, Brown Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Cleaner Shrimp
Store: 33Gal. Green Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 04-09-2005, 06:30 AM

Ken is on a distinguished road

Hi Gerald, I'm a big fan of downdraft skimmer. The ETSS 600 has a 3/4" inlet to the skimmer and a 1 1/2" outlet. Possibly if you're foaming too wet is caused by a few things. These skimmers you cannot under estimate them. If your tank has too much organic load, you will foam lots. If the oulet is restricted, meaning less than 1 1/2", same this will cause the water level to rise. The initial water level should be approx 1" above the black box sump of the skimmer. It may sound low but it will skim. Here be patience it will skim. Next possibly the pump is oversized, you may need to do more research on this. I think you mention a little Giant 4mdqx, this one produce approx 1300 gph. The one for this skimmer should be a 4mdq rated at 850gph that is if you are using a little giant. Another option would be the Iwaki md40rlt at 780 gph. You can throttle back the pump but it is not recommended by ETSS. The outlet valve should be fully open, allowing the water to drain properly back to the sump. You may fine tune the outlet to get the dry foam production. The ETSS skimmer are my favorite. My 500 gallon has the ETSS1400 dual biotower run by an Iwaki 70 at 1500gph. Regards Ken
Old 04-09-2005, 09:35 AM

BCWolfen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BCWolfen

Ken, thanks for the info.

Zerandise called me and gave me some tips that really helped. My biggest problem was running the air intake wide open. I've since throttle it back to just barely open thereby creating much smaller bubbles. I've a good height in the reaction chamber and she's producing good dry skimate now. Kepping an eye on it for the next few days to fine tune.
Pump is still running wide open.
Home:160Gal. Foxface, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Lawnmower Blenny, Starwberry Dottyback, Mandarin Goby, 2 Percula Clowns, Green Brittle Star, Brown Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Cleaner Shrimp
Store: 33Gal. Green Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Peppermint Shrimp