Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 04-06-2005, 04:36 PM

frostiex is on a distinguished road
Default Brown algae

ok this is really ****ing me off.....I have these brown algae growing in my tank....I keep changing water every weeks and suck most of them out...but they keep coming back....My tank is about 2 months old....
I tried putting in phosguard and stuff but its not helping....

the algae comes back 3-4days after I clean them out...HELP!!!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

diatoms. They grow in tanks that are about 2 months old, and will go away on their own as the tank matures. You're using RO water, right?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:57 PM

jws444 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear your frustration. Brown algae blooms (a.k.a. Diatoms) are caused by silicates in the water, which is their food main source. The main source of silicates comes from your water source, so I must ask you what type of water you're using? Tap, or dechlorinated tap, store bought water, r/o (reverse osmosis) water, etc. Depending what your dumping into the tank, you could be the main cause of continuing this algae bloom with your water changes. In new tanks, diatoms are the first to appear as a 'dusty brown' material covering the glass and sand. If controlled, it should disappear after a week or two at the most. Your phosphate remover will not control diatoms. However, it will help you in controlling the next phase of cycling which you'll see hopefully small amounts of green or hair algae.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Well...I have been using the brita filtered water...cuz I use them in my 15 Gallon nano and with no problems.....

is there any other way to remove sillicates besides getting a RO system?

I can't really afford it yet.....any cheaper solutions?
Old 04-06-2005, 06:22 PM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

try a local aquarium store and buy some ro/di water from them if you don't want to buy a system.

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Even using tap water, the diatoms will disappear in time. You may get new, more colorful algae, but not diatoms.
Buying water at the grocery store is an option.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:04 PM

jws444 is on a distinguished road

Using a Brita filter is essentially the same as quickly running tap water through activated carbon. It will 'refresh' the taste of the water, and probably take out a bit of the chlorine, but that's about it. The Brita filters are not cheap either. For the same price it takes to buy these things, you could get some ro/di water from stores. Just take a browse down the aisles and read the labels. You will eventually find distilled or ro/di water. These will be perfect for you to use short term, or longterm if you have a very small tank.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:11 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

friend of a friend does water analysis for her occupation said that britta filters over the course of 2 weeks accumulate so much bad bacteria and fungus that they are worse than drinking what comes outta yer tap ...what ever thats worth but interesting to ponder
Old 04-07-2005, 06:12 PM

So with out changing the water source there is no way those Diatoms will go away? Is there anything you can put in the water to get rid of the silicates?

I saw on ebay someone is selling a aqua safe RO filter or something...are they any good? the price isn't too bad.
Are those only good for aquariums? or can it be used for drinking as well?

thanks for the help
Old 04-07-2005, 06:41 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostiex
So with out changing the water source there is no way those Diatoms will go away? Is there anything you can put in the water to get rid of the silicates?

I saw on ebay someone is selling a aqua safe RO filter or something...are they any good? the price isn't too bad.
Are those only good for aquariums? or can it be used for drinking as well?

thanks for the help
The aquasafe ro/di units are great for aquarium use and drinking water.
Do a search here on Canreef and you will find many people here have systems from them.