Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-22-2015, 04:53 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road
Default Filter socks while on vacation?

What do people do while on extended vacations with filters socks? Do you leave them in or take them out or get someone to clean and cycle new ones in?
My next vacation is 2 1/2 weeks. In the past I've had someone take care of them but this time around it's a little more inconvenient to find someone to do this. Last tank I ran 2 socks, both 4" and they lasted about 7-10 days before getting clogged up. So asking for help to clean them once a week wasn't a big deal. Now with the new tank I get about 72 hours before it starts to back up on a single 4" sock. I attribute the quicker clogging to carbon dosing. Is it a fair assumption that carbon dosing clogs filter socks faster? If I get someone to cycle new socks in they literally can't be late. At 73 hours the sock is clogged.

So should I take it out or leave it in, not sure what my biggest concern would be with either option.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I would either leave it in, or take it off I don't think it matters. Lots of "reasons" for both sides. I leave mine for 2 weeks often enough when I'm home, I wouldn't worry about vacation.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:17 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I would either just take it out or just run a felt material filter sock that will not plug up.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 12-22-2015, 06:56 PM

rsisvixen is on a distinguished road

Can always get the new Theiling Roller Mat, self replacing filter sock, it will replace itself automatically while you are away
Old 12-22-2015, 09:46 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

I always take them out when I go on vacation. The less to go wrong when you're away the better.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Yes, I would recommend taking them out before going on vacation too.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:01 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I never liked asking my tank sitter(s) to care for the socks so I always took them out. I never liked seeing them overflow so can't imagine the extra stress that would put on my tank sitter if they saw that (even if I told them to ignore it). This was three years ago and I haven't put them back on yet.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:40 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Sorry shoulda mentioned the socks I use are felt and the tank is a custom designed all-in-one (Theiling roller mat won't fit). I've tried the mesh socks but they last 2 days max, or less if I clean the glass. Anyone need any mesh socks? I have 2 used used once each you can have them for free

The issue with just leaving the sock in is that when it overflows over the emergency it causes the ATO to fill a big void in the return section and ends up overfilling the back chamber, salinity drops a from 1.026 to 1.024, ATO alarm goes off and that's all I know, this is when I take the sock out put a new one in and have to wait a couple days for the water level to go back down so I can turn the ATO back on...

I could remove the sock pretend to go on vacation, see what happens... Maybe throw some filter floss down the hole to catch the bigger debris. My biggest concern with going sock-less is how the tank was designed. The filter sock section is separated from the skimmer section with a wall, that wall has a hole in it, which leads directly into the skimmer intake. With no sock, either the crap falls to the bottom of the sock section OR it makes a roger and goes right into a filter on my skimmer intake, 2 1/2 weeks of this would most likely completely clog the skimmer intake. I'll try and find a picture if that doesn't make sense...
Old 12-23-2015, 07:34 PM

iamfrontosa is on a distinguished road

i usually snipped of a tiny piece around the plastic holder to let the water flow through faster and won't cause overflow.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:53 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I'd always remove mine. Wouldn't have been a big deal to leave though as when they plugged up, water would just overflow into the sump.