Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2015, 03:11 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road
Default upgrading from RKL to Apex worth it?

I currently have a RKL with 2 PC4 power bars. one outlet doesnt work and seems the slightest touch to the cable at the head unit and it loses its connection. I have it in a place it really doesnt happen often unless I bump the couch.

I like the idea of having it availble on a computer and for WC being able to just hit an app and have all the outlets labelled what they are to shut off as opposed to jsut numbers in a small screen.

currently JL has a black friday sale which ends tomorrow at noon.

the head unit (standard grade) package is $600 plus tax

8 outlets is working fine for me. although 8 more to control my mixing station would probably be in the future over just a regular powerbar but thats later on.

i have 2- 1.1ml/min pump for my cal/alk and a 50 ml/min for top off running off the controller but it would be nice to have a float switch warning with an alarm to my phone. can I turn stuff on/off through the phone app? or jsut a computer?
i would think in the near future the apex auto feeder would be considered as well. I currently have an ehiem one which works great but the time wonders so currently I dont bother setting my RKL to shut off my powerheads whereas if the same timer controlled both it wouldnt matter if it wondered a bit.

basically I have a controller that works fine for the most part but its 'starting' to have issues, and the last thing i want is a dosing pump or top off pump to not get shut off but im not sure if the replays fail off or on normally?. So is this a worthy upgrade or shouldnt I jsut ride out the RKL until it dies???

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC