Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 AM

F.H is on a distinguished road
Default Fish Trap

Hi everyone,

Just throwing this out there, I'll try to catch my foxface at night time when he's sleeping in the next couple days, but as a back up plan I'm wondering if anyone has a fish trap that I might be able to borrow?

My foxface has been picking on my corals, and I've lost a couple acan colonies already because of him... Would rather not risk losing anymore corals, so although he's one of my favorite fish, I guess he has to go.

I've tried hovering nori near nets/colanders, he eats nori from my hand like a pig normally, but as soon as I put something else in the water he runs off and hides.

All my rock work is glued/puttied together, so I can't tear apart the rock work to try and catch him, and even if I lower the water level, he instantly goes to hide in the rock when I'm doing a water change, so I doubt that trick will work either.

Thanks in advance, and enjoy your day.

Fahd.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:48 AM

gmann is on a distinguished road

stop feeding and make a trap using inverted pop bottle. 2/2 with my fish
Old 08-12-2015, 09:11 AM

F.H is on a distinguished road

Just an update, I looked into the bottle trap, and I was going to try it until I spoke to Brad from Island pets, and he told me to try a different trick which ended up working!

It took a while, but he said to just leave a net inside the aquarium, and throw some food/nori in there. Since the fox loved nori, it took him a couple days to warm up to the net, but eventually started not being scared of it and, although cautiously, went inside to grab the daily piece of nori that I stuck in there.

I finally, after 3-4 days, grabbed the net, threw nori in there, waited, and sure enough the fox swam directly inside and I scooped him up. First time I've ever handled a fish that size (about 5 inches, and FAT) I thought the net would rip lol.

But I finally caught him.

Unfortunate, but it had to be done.