Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-28-2014, 11:09 PM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road
Default bare bottom tank

how many of you run bare bottom tanks, and what are your experiences?
im planing to remove all my sand run bare bottom for a few months to get everything under control ( algae) then add sand later on, or just grow corals on the bottom
Old 12-28-2014, 11:27 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

i tried it for a while it was better in every single aspect EXCEPT in aesthetics.
easier to vaccuum virtually no limit for flow in the tank.

I like the look of white sand and creatures that like sandbeds so after about 6 months I added sand back again.

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 12-28-2014, 11:39 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

been running both my aquariums bb for a while now (5+years)
sand always looks better IMO , its pretty much a witch one do you like better. BB is easier to clean does not look as nice , and also puts some limitations for certain livestock. However for me I dont keep any wrasses or sifting gobies so my only drawback is looks, mind you I don't dislike the looks of a bare bottom just prefer the look of sand . Also easier to re aqua-scape parts of the tank without creating possible issues stirring up sand. If you decide to go bb take your time removing the sand , don't do it all in one shot
Old 12-29-2014, 12:29 AM

Masonjames is on a distinguished road

Only good experiances here.

My advice would be to make sure you are staying on top of debris removal. Removing the sand bed will be a huge leap towards getting nutients under control and will set you up for truly purging the system of bound nutrients but you will need to do your part to truly fix the nutrient problems and resulting algae problems to get your system running efficiently. BB don't have the nutrient sink that a sand bed temporarly provides so removal is key.

I'd also keep an eye on your alk levels after removing the sand if you are on a dosing regimen. Consumption can drop significantly. And when nutrients truly start to drop you may have to reduce lighting some.

Don't add sand until the point in time you see your live rocks have stopped shedding debris. Or keep it BB : )
Old 12-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

We ran a 210g reef BB for about 3 months but hated the look. Added sand again and never looked back.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:51 AM

Nicole. is on a distinguished road

+1 too all of the above
Easier to maintain but after awhile I caved in and got sand again (black sand this time around). Corals look better sitting on sand than on BB imo.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:37 AM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road

I'm just not sure if I should clean my sand, my levels are all good but I have hair algae from when my tank crashed in the summer
Old 12-29-2014, 08:54 AM

SteveCGY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadod2 View Post
I'm just not sure if I should clean my sand, my levels are all good but I have hair algae from when my tank crashed in the summer
Sand is the devil. Always had trouble with urn only way I had half ads tank was to stir and tornado daily. I finally went with just anough sand for rocks to barely sit on and algae went away. From now I hate sand and only put it whee rocks are so they sit nicer ajendont scratch glass. Sand is bad. Lots of matience I found. Diatoms and that red algae like crazy with it.. plus hated my fish scooping and dropping it on my corals. Went with sand just enough to barely cover glass and will never go back. I goundbtur sand as my biggest enemy. Went from 50lb dry in 60gallon g be to 5lb dry and way better.Also it increased my water volume by 7gallons which helps with perimeter swings.

Last edited by SteveCGY; 12-29-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I always use the coarser grade not the sugar fine sand.

Doesn't get stirred up as easily.

I keep lots of leopard wrasses so some sand flies up when they dig themselves in, but no sandsifting gobies who like to drop sand on all your favourite corals.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've done both BB and sand, never noticed any difference in corals, and didn't really like the BB look. For me, a display tank needs sand to look right.