Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-14-2014, 04:51 AM

shiftline is on a distinguished road
Default RODI in kelowna?

Does anyone know where to get RODI in Kelowna?
I ordered a kit but it's on back order and I'm itching to get the tank cycling
Old 12-14-2014, 05:45 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

You should join the Facebook group Okanagan Reef Keepers and ask there. Plenty of nice people that can help you out.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:26 AM

H2o2 is on a distinguished road
Default rodi

http://www.seahorsebayaquatics.com/default.html
Old 12-14-2014, 02:38 PM

Will do. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:33 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Try an Andrew Sheret, you have one in Kelowna on Banks. I also recall seeing RO systems in a pure water vending business on Harvey, a small strip mall not far from Sutherland, but on the west side of the road. Be advised that you will probably end up paying more for the components & systems there and they may not have the DI stage or media. The price for being in a hurry I suppose. The systems on offer by seahorse bay aquatics are quite competitive price wise but you'll need to drive to Vernon. I've also seen RO systems in some of the larger box stores, but their pricing is out to lunch for what they offer and usually include a pressure tank & faucet for drinking water, which most of us don't use or need.

And... don't forget that there is a buy/sell forum here on Canreef for both livestock & hardware.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-14-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the tips. I checked out seahorse bays website. I wish I knew about it earlier!

I actually have a RO system. And ordered a DI system. It's just on back order. I have seen lots of places with RO just no one with DI!
Old 12-14-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
Thanks for the tips. I checked out seahorse bays website. I wish I knew about it earlier!

I actually have a RO system. And ordered a DI system. It's just on back order. I have seen lots of places with RO just no one with DI!
Have you hooked up the RO system to see what your product water TDS is? If it's down below 4, you're probably ok to start cycling the tank with that. By the time your back ordered DI stage arrives, you'll be ready to add livestock after a water change with 0 TDS RODI water. My tap water TDS is generally in the 180 TDS range and my 75 gpd RO membrane gets that down to 1 TDS after running for about 5 minutes. I do have a DI stage to get the TDS down to 0, but in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use just RO water at 1 TDS.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:10 PM

Im getting 2 TDS.. so its pretty good. I just kept reading that you are vey prone to algae with out the DI..
Old 12-14-2014, 06:14 PM

It depends on what the TDS is composed of and yes, could be a concern with using treated tap water long term, but I don't think 2 TDS to start cycling your rock is going to result in an algae explosion. If it is a concern & you're still eager to get started, you can also go out & buy distilled water at the local grocery store, unless you're starting a really large tank. Even then, for cycling you may not need to fill the tank completely, just enough to cover the rock you're curing/cycling, a power head to move the water, a heater....