Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-24-2008, 05:55 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road
Default Clownfish poop

It has definitely been a rough week for me and my livestock. Despite all my efforts, keeping the nutrition up, water quality up, I still run into problems.

I think BOTH new clownfish have internal parasites (worms) The poop is long, white and stringy. It takes a bit before it falls off. All research leads me to believe this is worms, but I could be wrong though?? The fact that both have the worms, or may, really has me wondering what I could be doing wrong.. I always assume it's me. But I am most certainly not careless, and I follow proper acclimation and generally try to reduce stress as much as I can before introduction.

Is this something clownfish can get over themselves, or does it require a QT treatment? My plan is to not move anymore livestock as I have done enough of that over the past week.

My treatment plan is to continue the every day feedings of NLS Pellets & Mysis (vary between the two) and I am soaking the food in Selcon and Garlic Xtreme (not so much the garlic, I am having my doubts these days) I will continue to keep my water quality up, and keep skimming wet, while running carbon.

The fish show no signs of distress, as they still eat fine and are active. Although, I am not sure what exactly I should be looking for in terms of symptoms, as I have never dealt with worms if that is indeed what I have. I hope by keeping them fat, they are able to fight off whatever they may have.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:02 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Try a QT and treatment with PraziPro. That's what I would do if my fish was poopin white.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:03 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

If you have been using selcon and garlic before the problem developed, stop using both.
Garlic does nothing for worms that I am aware of and too much selcon may cause digestive problems just like too much vitamin c in humans. Feed them normally and see if it clears up.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
If you have been using selcon and garlic before the problem developed, stop using both.
Garlic does nothing for worms that I am aware of and too much selcon may cause digestive problems just like too much vitamin c in humans. Feed them normally and see if it clears up.
Hmm, intersesting. I will definitely try this. I was under the impression that a drop of selcon per feed was a good idea.

More suggestions welcome, thank you guys for the quick reply.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP View Post
Hmm, intersesting. I will definitely try this. I was under the impression that a drop of selcon per feed was a good idea.
I don't know about the idea of Selcon and Garlic being the issue. I use several drops of Selcon and 1 drop of Garlic in about every third feeding. I don't like to feed anything every time.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I don't know about the idea of Selcon and Garlic being the issue. I use several drops of Selcon and 1 drop of Garlic in about every third feeding.
I don't know if it's the cause or not either, but I am willing to stop using it for a few days to see if it helps at all.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:30 PM

Ya, there's no harm in that. Although if the fish's condition does improve with just that change, I would still be very hesitant to believe it was the cause or the remedy. I think QT is in order for these fish...clowns are sensitive to all sorts of problems.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:32 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP View Post

More suggestions welcome, thank you guys for the quick reply.
Yes it is good to feed both but if your fish have an upset tummy and not worms lay off it to see it it improves.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Just some additional info, both my clowns had this when I got them, I did nothing and it cleared up on it's own. That was about 8 months ago....
Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the input. Both clowns still eating like pigs and appear healthy.. nothing physical I can see with my eyes.

The larger clown though, really has a thing for the left corner of my tank. I don't know if it's just crazy clown behaviour, or if there's something bothering the fish.

It does two things:

First, the two clowns always swim against the flow. Okay, not always but 95% of the time they are just idle and swimming against the flow in the center of the tank (I blame the larger fish, because when I had the previous pair, they started this, and when I added the new perc on Friday, I think it just started following the others lead) ... I dunno if this is a bad sign, or if they just really dig swimming against the water flow?? I am wondering, because they are both wild caught if this is just natural for them. Second thing my larger clown does, is it gets itself into the left corner of the tank, near the bottom and just kinda hangs.. again, still kind of swimming against the flow. He's not laying down or breathing heavy or taking a load off cuz it's stressed, it just looks like it enjoys hanging out in that part of the tank for whatever reason. I sure wish they would move around a bit more. They literally are always swimming against the flow. I never get to see their full faces other than when they are eating, just the side views all the time.

I've had too many days to sit and stare into the tank, I am probably just worrying myself, which I tend to do often. For now, I will assume they are normal, crazy clowns.