Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Sasq40 is on a distinguished road
Default Did my tank crash! Help!

So woke up this morning to my tank looking like this
O local reefer told me to add kalkwasser to my ato and sand that's how he's been running for years so I gave it a try and now this? Is my tank pouched? Should I start doing water changes right away?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I don't even know what that is!! Does it blow off? But ya, do a large water change. Can't hurt.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:09 PM

I had to drive the wife to work so I didn't get a chance to mess around with it. I'm going to have to get some salt water made cuz I just did a water change yesterday. Either going to get a dosing system for my kalkwasser, or selling the tank I don't think I can handle a crash, and my wife won't let me spend all that money again if it is :-(

Old 06-09-2014, 02:10 PM

Pretty much anything with algae is cover in the stuff, my rocks and over flow, some of my coral looks unaffected, like my brain, torch, hammer, flow pot, and birds nest, frogs pawn

Old 06-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

If that is just algae covered in stuff (kalk, Ca, etc) you have other issues too Blow it off, suck it out, change some water. Don't dump kalk into your tank at anything other than a drip feed or via reactor.
Then figure out where the nutrients are coming from to feed all that algae
Old 06-09-2014, 02:17 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasq40 View Post
I had to drive the wife to work so I didn't get a chance to mess around with it. I'm going to have to get some salt water made cuz I just did a water change yesterday. Either going to get a dosing system for my kalkwasser, or selling the tank I don't think I can handle a crash, and my wife won't let me spend all that money again if it is :-(

Where did you get the Kalk? And how much did you use in how much water?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:18 PM
R.I.P.

Or like brad said lol
Old 06-09-2014, 02:30 PM

I got the tank used a a few weeks ago and was looking a little rough when I picked it up, had lots of hair and cyano. So I've been doing water changes to bring and down and it's been working.
And yeah I should have done a lot more but I trusted he knew what he was telling me cuz his tanks are beautiful. I could have misunderstand what he said to so I'm not going to just through him under the bus. I got the kalkwasser from jl it's the bigger container they sell. I had around 12 tbsp in 13 gallons of ro/di and was thrown in over night with my ato

Old 06-09-2014, 02:52 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasq40 View Post
I got the tank used a a few weeks ago and was looking a little rough when I picked it up, had lots of hair and cyano. So I've been doing water changes to bring and down and it's been working.
And yeah I should have done a lot more but I trusted he knew what he was telling me cuz his tanks are beautiful. I could have misunderstand what he said to so I'm not going to just through him under the bus. I got the kalkwasser from jl it's the bigger container they sell. I had around 12 tbsp in 13 gallons of ro/di and was thrown in over night with my ato

Your ato fills 13g of water overnight or 1.3. if so then there's your issue along another of why so much water , also 1 Tsp per gallon is the Starting dose not tbsp and make sure your ato isn't dosing too much at a time or besides what you got visibly you could get get ph spikes as well.

If your going to run Kalk make sure your dosing any other cal/Alk supplement and test your water for a while to make sure it's doing it's job or isn't.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:57 PM

There 13g of total water in my ato, i looked and I think it added 2 gallon over night. Must have been 1 tsp I just used what the directions said. My ato usually fills for ten seconds or so the turns off for a bit then goes back on.

Do you mean not dosing other supplements or should I be dosing things with my kalkwasser?