Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 PM

morecowbell is on a distinguished road
Default Sick Trigger

Hello all,

Just trying to see what could possibly be wrong with this fish.

Please try to excuse the lack of info. It is a tank at my work, not my own. Nobody else here has any clue what's wrong. The tank is serviced by a local aquarium store/staff.

For several weeks the tank had an outbreak of cyano. I think due to 3 tank moves in the last few months during construction at the office. Construction is over now, tank hasn't been moved in about 2 months. The cyano was pretty bad and they decided they wanted it treated. The sevicer treated it with some sort of chemical. I do not know what it was but I'm trying to find out.

The lights were kept off for several days and any cyano they could manually remove was removed during this treatment. Now the tank is clear of cyano. However, about the time they started the treatment, I noticed I stopped seeing the clown trigger around. Last Friday when they were here servicing I asked if he died or was removed (since I'm sure the tank is overstocked), they found him behind a rock in pretty bad shape. I've been watching him since and he's not eating, severely emaciated and very weak. He's gotten stuck to a powerhead a few times, so I knocked him off and unlplugged that power head yesterday. He just lodges himself in rock so he doesn't float away. No interest in food. Today, to give him a fighting chance, I moved him into a bucket with an airstone and some shrimp to see if he will eat. I'm worried that since he is so weak, he won't try and eat in the main display tank since it has 2 tangs in it.

Theres no water testing stuff here at the office but I can bring in my stuff from home to see where it's at. The other fish all seem fine but I really have no idea what else it could be at this point. I don't see anything on his skin, fins, or eyes.

Anybody have any clue? Could this all be a result of the chemical treatment? Is there any disease it could be that wouldn't show on the skin/eyes?