Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM

mark is on a distinguished road
Default LF HRV installation pictures

Going to pick up a Greentek PH7.15 and go the DIY install route.

Gone through the installation manuals from different manufacturers but pictures worth a thousand word type thing. Anyone willing to put up some up of their installs so I can get ideas for layout etc.

Last edited by mark; 01-13-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: edit title
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 AM

Okay, here's mine.

Now that it looks like the cold weather is done finished my installation. Did it over 2 weekends but that was short days due kids soccer, wife dragging me away, etc. Biggest hassle for me was crawling through the trusses (getting too old and fat). Definitely no more than a 2 day jobs for someone that knew what they were doing. Still can't believe a company was ballsy enough to quote $4000 for a unit installed ($3K labour).

Only place to put the unit was in the window opening. No big deal as in the 6 years been here, only opened the blinds a couple of times.

House has cathedral ceiling so placed a single stale air intake near the high point.

Couple more holes in the rim joist (shiny hoods the inlet and exhaust)

Only wall I had to open up was in a closet so easy to fix.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:19 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Sweet yeah companies labour is terrible, I am very interested in seeing how this turns out for you comfort wise in your home.

360 Reef Tank
Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 PM

Looks like it's going to work. Until I get the dehumidistat dialed in, can see not having enough humidity being the problem.

Before I started the HRV yesterday around noon, was measuring around 48% RH, by evening was 35% and this morning down to 30%. Another big indicator was lack of condensation on the bedroom windows. It's usual to find condensation in the mornings when we pull up the blackout blinds but only a slightest bit today in the kids room.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 PM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

HRV is absolutely the way to go, out of the 1200 gallon or so different tanks, it used to be around 60-70% humidity even with full dehumidifer. In the winter months, it drops to around 30-40%.

Unfortunately for the summer months it gets to be a bit of an issue. Nice installation pictures. and Seriously labour is crazy, I think I was charged $1000 alone just in labour.
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 PM

bkelly is on a distinguished road

You guys ever have your fresh air intake line condensate so much that the plastic wrap that holds the insulation around it fills with water? Mine did this winter , i dont want mold there, what slope direction does yours run. Mine is metal piping 6 inch and solid piping also for the corners it runs about 10 feet from the exterior wall to the HRV. Any solution for this.
Thanks
Brent

brent
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 AM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly View Post
You guys ever have your fresh air intake line condensate so much that the plastic wrap that holds the insulation around it fills with water? Mine did this winter , i dont want mold there, what slope direction does yours run. Mine is metal piping 6 inch and solid piping also for the corners it runs about 10 feet from the exterior wall to the HRV. Any solution for this.
Thanks
Brent
do you have a drain at the bottom of the HRV?
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 AM

bkelly is on a distinguished road

yes set up just like the photo in this thread. I think mine is water coming off the pipe leading to the HRV, i have a slight slope going to the HRV on that pipe but not much as theres a door in the room the pipe has to clear.

brent
Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly View Post
You guys ever have your fresh air intake line condensate so much that the plastic wrap that holds the insulation around it fills with water?
Are you're meaning condensation in the insulation? If the inner and outer lining are intact and sealed on both ends you shouldn't get any.

I tried not to have any low point (dips) in my fresh air run and the inlet on the outside wall is higher than the port on the HRV.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:03 AM

wingedfish is on a distinguished road

So what do you figure is a fair price for two guys for a day? A grand is fair where I come from. Good on ya guys for diy'ing the job.