Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-16-2014, 04:14 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough
Default Chemi-clean feedback

I realize there has been much ado lately, and in the past, concerning this product ...
I've found previous posts and see it has been used in the past by many of our members, but there hasn't been any 'lasting effects' posts added to the threads

I'm looking for feedback from those who have used it in the past ( not recently if it was your first time )

I'd like to hear about your long-term effects concerning things such as; dino outbreaks, hair algae, cyano returns ... whatever you'd like to tell us about

Not looking to have this become a discussion about husbandry or other chemical type product uses, just feedback about Chemi-clean

Thanks for any input
Old 01-16-2014, 04:20 AM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

Used it 10 months ago, nothing came back until I introduced a frag what had some green algae ... so far under control w/ clean up crew

Skimmer went into over production mode for a good 5 days after, but water changes caught that eventually

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I've used it in my tank twice now. The first time was probably in the spring or summer and I don't think I used enough of it or for long enough and the cyano came back within a week, but other than that and a skimmer that went crazy for days, there were no other effects.

This most recent time, according to date stamps on posts here, was just about exactly a month ago. This time after the 20% water change at the 48 hour mark, I did a second dose to try and make sure I'd killed it all. Strangely, even though I know it's not supposed to work on them, the dusting of dinos that have waxed and waned on my sand bed for the better part of a year (and I've confirmed their identity under a microscope) utterly vanished. I only let the second treatment go for 24 hours because my elegance coral and one of my frogspawns were starting to look a little worse for wear, so I did the 20% water change, dropped a bag of carbon in my filter sock, and skimmed wet until the skimmer went back to normal (about 3 days). When I did that last water change I tested my phosphate levels and they had jumped from 0.00 on a hanna checker to 0.05.

After that I started an aggressive dosing campaign of MB7 (the tank runs biopellets) and changed the GFO every few days for a couple of weeks.

January 15th and there isn't a trace of the cyano. All corals are doing just fine, though I think I might have driven the nutrients too low.

I know some people say they've nuked their tanks with this stuff, but I've never seen so much as a reaction from anything, other than the widespread death of cyano bacteria.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 AM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
I know some people say they've nuked their tanks with this stuff
From what I can find on the web, I would attribute this to either over-dosing due to a lack of true system volume knowledge, or a lack of oxygenation
Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

No damage at all after second outbreak and treatment but I confess I did not use it full strength. I still have 2 small patches in the display and a 5cm area on the front panel of the refugium.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:48 AM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherd View Post
No damage at all after second outbreak and treatment but I confess I did not use it full strength. I still have 2 small patches in the display and a 5cm area on the front panel of the refugium.
So you dosed it 2 different times ?
When was that ?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:55 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Used it once a while back, full dose, left it in for a week. No issues. Skimmer wasn't happy for while tho
Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 AM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
No issues
As in, nothing has come back, no Dinos or other outbreaks etc ?
Old 01-16-2014, 05:03 AM

Evilweevil is on a distinguished road

Used it once and lost my clam and some inverts I had the skimmer running and overflowing into the sump looking back I would have to agree with gregzz I may have overdosed only by a little though but it sure got rid of all the cyano fo sho!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:16 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
As in, nothing has come back, no Dinos or other outbreaks etc ?
Nope. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again, if I ever needed to.