Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-02-2013, 12:51 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road
Default Do reactors equal less water changes?

Just thinking of automating the setup a little more.
I do a 10-20% water change every 7-10 days. Currently no problems with algae but as time goes in the hobby the ole powerhead/heater in a bucket in the bathroom overnight routine is feeling a little monotonous.

Do people generally use reactors to allow less frequent water changes?
Or for other reasons?

Second option is to keep the same setup now and look into an auto water change system...
Old 11-02-2013, 12:55 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Basically, there's two purposes of WC:
1. To lower/control the nutrients in the tank
2. To replace the trace elements

Some have to do WC for both the reasons while others have to do for one or the other. Reactors, depending on the filter media, can cut down your wc due to number 1 but not for number 2. But if you use calcium reactor to provide all the traces and major elements along with a denitrifying media in a reactor, theoretically, you can lower you wc by a significant amount if not at all.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

I was getting by on water changes for a while but then my levels started dropping as corals grew.water changes were not cuttng it anymore so put a calcium reactor online.I still do water changes though.I am using the Genesis Reef Systems gear.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:05 PM

saltyair is on a distinguished road

IMO - it all depends on livestock,bio-load and equipment.

if you don't have a skimmer and or refuge i would say no.

if you are able to control NO3 and PO4 with calcium and trace elements then yes you could significantly lower the % of WC.

again IMO - WC can correct and keep things in check and not create an issue that takes time and energy to correct.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I do a 10-20% water change every 7-10 days. Currently no problems with algae but as time goes in the hobby the ole powerhead/heater in a bucket in the bathroom overnight routine is feeling a little monotonous.

Or for other reasons?

Second option is to keep the same setup now and look into an auto water change system...
r

Maybe I don't understand your question.
I don't see how reactors relate at all to water changes.
So as I understand it at this point, my answer is no.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:09 PM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
r

Maybe I don't understand your question.
I don't see how reactors relate at all to water changes.
So as I understand it at this point, my answer is no.
I think the question means:

If I am controlling nutrients already, such as a skimmer for nitrates, and GFO for phosphates, does a reactor contribute enough trace elements to extend the period between water changes.

I've often wondered this myself. If my nitrates are at 0, and my phosphate are .01 or .02 ... what am I doing a water change for?

I've heard of people adding magnesium crystals their calcium reactor media as well to help keep mag in check while running a reactor.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I think the question means:

If I am controlling nutrients already, such as a skimmer for nitrates, and GFO for phosphates, does a reactor contribute enough trace elements to extend the period between water changes.

I've often wondered this myself. If my nitrates are at 0, and my phosphate are .01 or .02 ... what am I doing a water change for?

I've heard of people adding magnesium crystals their calcium reactor media as well to help keep mag in check while running a reactor.
To add those "trace elements" that nothing but calcium reactors can provide only. Or unless you have a full balling system, gfo, heavy skimmer and some sort of nutrient export mechanism like biopellets or zeovit. Like zeovit tanks do wc to replace the trace elements only unless they employ something to replace that too through dosing or calcium reactor.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 11-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post

Or for other reasons?

Here are some suggestions to help you with ridding the bucket with powerhead in washroom syndrome.....

I have 2 tanks behind my display, one for ato one for waterchange. I too was stuck lugging buckets for awhile and found myself post phoning WC's. It's quite simple to rig up and always have some spare ready to go if needed.

Some may say they lack room around display and hate the look of tanks behind their display. Tell you the truth for me it's hardly noticeable and hassle free. So if you're mixing up 4-5 gallons every week and a half get a 10g which really takes up a 12x16 foot print. I myself go for the largest tank I possibly can fit behind there so that I have roughly 5-6 changes on the go. Another thing is if you have a tank for ato already rigged up you could stack them to save even more space. Another helpfull tip is I run an airstone for circulation and oxygenation in both ato and wc tanks. When I mix a new batch of salt I will run the k4 and then unplug it once it's mixed. I also got some black perforated sign board to cover the tanks so that airborne contaminants like dust and hair keep out. This can be purchased at industrial plastics or any other plastic shop $8 for a 4x8' sheet.

And to answer your question reactors are used for a bunch of reasons, like removing P & N. Will this allow you to skip a water change or 2...sure but in reality waterchanges are to replace and displace dirty water. I have taken advantage of feeding more frequently with the addition of a gfo reactor. Algae shows up from time to time but that's when I get lazy and dump food in unrinsed.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips

Last edited by tang daddy; 11-03-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I have a Ca reactor with added Mg. I have a zeo reactor that apparently keeps nutrients down to 0. I still do a 50g water change every 2 weeks, and wouldn't consider NOT doing them. I'm with Bill, I don't equate the 2 together.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I have a Ca reactor with added Mg. I have a zeo reactor that apparently keeps nutrients down to 0. I still do a 50g water change every 2 weeks, and wouldn't consider NOT doing them. I'm with Bill, I don't equate the 2 together.
Alot of dedication with reefers on here. I go through phases where I am diligent about maintenance and other months not so much. I really have respect for those who can keep up with WC over the years.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips