Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-05-2013, 05:35 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road
Default Fluval surface skimmer

So I know most people on here dont really like canister filters because they are a "nitrate factory", but for those of you that do use a canister filter, does anybody use the surface skimmer attachment? And if so does it work? I clean my filter very regularly so that isnt an issue. But between the cost of a HOB skimmer, and my lack of room it looks like sorta a good option. Input appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 03:19 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

If you're referring to the small apparatus with the little floating transparent cup in the tube, I used one of these with a Remora C skimmer a few years ago. Depending on how much water the pump in your canister pulls, you'll need to tune the surface skimmer to take water both from the top & the lower intake to avoid overpowering the floating cup thing. It's a great way to capture some of the oily stuff that accumulates on the surface of the water & have your skimmer or canister take care of it. As far as the 'nitrate factory', well if you have live rock in your system, you likely have a nitrate factory. A canister filter can be a better one than your live rock, which means you're breaking down the really harmful stuff like nitrites, which is a good thing. You simply need to find a way to remove the nitrates, which a skimmer, water changes and/or a skimmer will help do for you.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Awesome thanks for the input mike. I dont even mind my canister. I keep it very clean and in turn it keeps my water very clean. If i can get it to take some of the stuff off the surface then bonus
Old 10-05-2013, 06:03 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I use one on an AC50 in my QT
It does a great job of keeping the surface clean which I think in turn makes for better gas exchange

Make sure it doesn't choke your canister
You may need a 'Tee' to add this to your current intake