Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 10-24-2013, 05:27 AM

1bigstud is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 1bigstud
Default Copperband Butterfly

Just under two week ago I bought a copper band butterfly.
I have a 75 gallon reef with about 120lbs of live rock, a 30 gallon sump.
My water quality is good.
In the tank are 2 clown fish, a flame hawk, a golden head goby, a melanarus wrasse and two clown fish.
The first week he was very skittish. I havent seen him eat yet during the first week he always seemed to be chasig food when I fed my fish. I feed frozen mysis.
Lately he looks very beat up and seems lethargic. hes got a few white spots on his fins and looks very beat up in general.
Any ideas what could be wrong and how to cure him?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Sounds like... Copperbands.

If you're lucky, sometimes they eat well for 3 weeks then roll up and die without a single mark on them. This from non-cyanide sources.

They're just a really tough fish to keep in general. TBH, I bet you less than 1 out of 5 survive under experienced care. The odds are even more dubious if you count the fish sold to inexperienced aquarists.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

I had one as one of the first fish in my tank. It was super easy to care for, ate almost anything I put in the tank and got along with everybody else in the tank. The only reason I got rid of it was because I was informed that they nibble at corals. But other than that IMO awesome lookin fish, and easy to look after. But thats just from my personal experience. Maybe I just got lucky with that particular fish.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
I had one as one of the first fish in my tank. It was super easy to care for, ate almost anything I put in the tank and got along with everybody else in the tank. The only reason I got rid of it was because I was informed that they nibble at corals. But other than that IMO awesome lookin fish, and easy to look after. But thats just from my personal experience. Maybe I just got lucky with that particular fish.
You got lucky... Don't know who told you they nibble corals, but they screwed you. One of the most reef safe fish and it's pretty difficult to get a good one
Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

When I get new fish in my tanks I feed thawed Cyclopeze for the first few days. I've never had a problem getting a fish to get down on some Cyclopeze when they first get into the tank. In fact my entire tank goes bananas for Cyclopeze.

I don't know if you've tried it yet but it fattened my yellow tang up nice and plump when I first brought him in. I also credit it with turning my little green carpet nem into Sarlacc The Magnificient. (Star Wars thing, if you don't get the reference then nerd up!)

And as others have mentioned the copperband butterfly is a very difficult fish. They get stressed pretty bad during capture, transport, and then into the LFS. By the time we see them they are starved, weakened, and probably have been exposed to a number of parasites and diseases they aren't prepared to fight off. It's not surprising that their survival rate in the home aquariums is very low.

Quarantine him if you can, and try to fatten him up. A fish that's eating has a much better chance to fight off disease and injury.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 PM

AdamsB is on a distinguished road

I tried 2 of these guys. First was a little bigger than a toonie, very cute! He lasted about 10 days, didn't see him eat at all. But very active and wasn't shy. My girlfriend found him stuck to a power was one day while I was at work. I think she was more upset than I was.

Second I got from J&L, he was good and big. I thought the last one was possibly too young. This time I was determined for him to eat.

-I got some clams from a fish market for him to eat, cracked them open, elastic banded to a frag disc. My cleaner shrimp and 6 line loved it!

-Tried drilling a pill box with holes and putting mysis in there, again my shrimp loved it!

-Tried both methods again but soaked with garlic guard. Everybody loved that! Except the copper band.

-I generally feed cyclopeeze, ripped up nori, and some flake and pellet foods soaked in garlic to my other fish and that didn't strike up any feeling or emotions in the copper and either.

He then developed some white spots after day 5-6 and by day 9 he was gone. It was this experience that makes me now quarantine all fish regardless of where I get them. It's not just disease prevention, it's making sure they eat and general well being.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:49 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like i got lucky forsure. They dont nibble at corals? I wish i had of known that!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
Sounds like i got lucky forsure. They dont nibble at corals? I wish i had of known that!
They will nibble on anemones and feather dusters though.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:18 PM

Din Gior is on a distinguished road

I have my copperband for quite awhile now and eats only frozen mysis(he can't eat any other frozen food), aptasia, acans, he can eat other damaged corals as well. He finished all my feather dusters and spaghetti worms and doesn't touch anything else.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

It's been my experience that without a QT period where copper band's can be trained on captive foods they have an extremely low success rate. They're naturally slow and picky eaters and in the early days it's a good chance all the food has been eaten by other fish by the time they figure out that white stuff floating in the water is edible. If you give them that acclimation period they can become incredibly robust fish.

Can you give some more details on the white spots? Are they small? White spots on fins sounds like ich (C. irritans) to me. Copperbands are known to be susceptible to it, and a stressed copper band is particularly likely to fall victim. If you haven't quarantined your fish the parasite is almost certainly present in your tank, and there's really only one way to get it out once it's present, and that requires removing all fish to a QT where they're treated using one of the 4 proven methods to cure ich, and letting the display run fallow for between 6-10 weeks. Copperbands are also susceptible to a virus that causes a disease called lymphocystis that manifests as white or black wart like structures on their fins. It's just like fish warts, and given low stress, good nutrition and good water it usually clears up. My CBB had it when I got him and it cleared up completely. Google pictures of both and see if either condition match.

Since he's already in your tank, I suggest 2 things to help getting him to eat as a copper band that doesn't eat is basically a dead copper band that just happens to still be swimming:

1. Try dropping in a supermarket clam (the same kind you'd cook for yourself). Crack it open so that the meat is still attached to the shell but easily accessible. Copperbands LOVE clams, but don't always take to them right away. I prefer to freeze mine first to hopefully kill any pathogens that might be in them but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

2. Use a 'feed mode' to feed so that the food isn't blowing around so much. Copperbands hunt invertebrates from the rocks in the wild using those super specialized mouths. Reducing the water movement in the tank during feeding enough so that bits of mysis get caught on the rocks or in the tentacles of corals is as close to mimicking their natural feeding environment as you can get without using live food, and they'll be able to get way more in to their stomachs. They're not pelagic feeders by nature, and while they can learn how to do it, it's really hard on them to have to learn at the same time they're adjusting to a new tank and a possible exposure to ectoparasites.