Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM

04V10 is on a distinguished road
Default What are the good shops in Calgary?

Hey guys,

I'm down in Calgary for the weekend and I wanna do some shopping for the ol'e reef. I'm just wondering what stores you would recommend for me. I'd really like to get some more Aussie corals, if that helps. Also looking for a goby and some clowns. Even just a cool store to check out would be cool. Any info would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Red Coral, Aylith RD in the SE
Ocean Creation (Ocean City) 16th AVE NE
Golds, 17th AVE SE

Wais 16th ave NE a couple blocks from Ocean. Gets nice stuff but really $$$

I wouldnt bother with,

Big Al's, ws in there yesterday they didnt really have anyting spectacular.
Riverfront
Picies
Old 03-23-2012, 01:28 AM

Littlefishy is on a distinguished road

Red Coral has some great locally raised clowns right now!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:36 AM

Kgrizzle is on a distinguished road

And some awesome looking new corals at red coral was there tonight and wanted to max the visa but resisted enough and just got a huge anemone for 60 bones ... What a deal
Old 03-23-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgrizzle View Post
And some awesome looking new corals at red coral was there tonight and wanted to max the visa but resisted enough and just got a huge anemone for 60 bones ... What a deal
What else was there?! Ric's?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:48 PM

SkunkClown is on a distinguished road

The best service is at red coral! We just picked up a nice frogspawn from there!

Ocean creations and golds is pretty good too. I picked up a 3inch kole tang for $50 at oceans. Picses you'd pay 60 for a smaller one probably. I think most Calgary residents agree that red coral, oceans and golds are the best. I haven't been to Wai's in a while.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Red Coral had a couple rics last night, they def has some awesome LPS, orange hammer, torch's, brains, elegance to name a few. I picked up a neon green torch and an orange/multicolor I think its a brain... they had a gorgeous yellow multicolor brain, was hard to chose. Best service for sure.

Gold's and Ocean's are also great stores, with good service. Was at Wai's a week ago, always has cool corals, but very expensive. Fish don't always look healthy though.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 PM

Yes I would check out Wai's for the coral. I have also heard from a couple people that their fish aren't the best, I have never bought any from him. I got a killer double headed highlighter yellow goniopora from him, not cheap but worth it! His corals really are great.

And Pisces... I have got some nice stuff from there but $$$, it does not hurt to look. A lot of people don't like it.

Sheena, put up a picture of your new brain from RC! If I didn't have that HUGE coral shipment coming in tomorrow I would be over there in a heart beat
Old 03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Cugio

Does anyone find that it smells like smoke at RC though? It's always really strong for me.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlefishy View Post
Yes I would check out Wai's for the coral. I have also heard from a couple people that their fish aren't the best, I have never bought any from him. I got a killer double headed highlighter yellow goniopora from him, not cheap but worth it! His corals really are great.

And Pisces... I have got some nice stuff from there but $$$, it does not hurt to look. A lot of people don't like it.

Sheena, put up a picture of your new brain from RC! If I didn't have that HUGE coral shipment coming in tomorrow I would be over there in a heart beat
I will get one up over the weekend - wasn't open last night and lights were not on yet this morning, not home tonight....can't wait to see everyone's new goodies!!

I should say, the service I've received from Kevin and Doug at RC always feels above and beyond. Very helpful, spend time with you - as long as the store is not busy. I went looking for Prime for my tank, Kevin put the brakes on it and said bring in a water sample instead. Nothing wrong with my water based on his tests, no need to buy something not needed or that could cause additional problems. So they don't sell you something, just to sell something. Their service brings me back everytime.

Last edited by Coralgurl; 03-23-2012 at 04:02 PM.