Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-21-2003, 01:02 AM

ganowicki is on a distinguished road
Default Gen X mak 4

I have one of these pumps and the other day it stopped working. I took it apart and the fins on impeller had been broken. I talked to J&L about warranty and they don't deal with any warranty. they said it was up to me to deal with the company and any warranty issues Anyhow, I have been trying to find a website, email or phone number of Gen X but I have not found a thing. if anybody knows a way to get hold of the company please let me know. (as I am with out a return pump)

Thanks
Gord
Old 08-21-2003, 04:37 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Gord, didn't J&L have any contact info?
Old 08-21-2003, 05:25 AM

No. Allen said it was some company called "pacific coast".
no matter cause I think I found a contact number. I looked at the pump and it has a phone number on it, but it is out of service. I ended up going to Sherwood, Oregon's chamber of commerce (that is where the distributor is from) and I found a different number. I tried that and the number had changed. It gave me a recording of the brand new number. I phoned it and sure enough I finally got "pacific coast aquarium supply" I left the guy a message so hopefully he can help me.

I had asked Allen about buying a new impeller, but it is $70. That's why I am trying to contact the distributor about warrantee work
Old 08-21-2003, 02:07 PM

fishnut is on a distinguished road
Default Unfair to Consumers

I purchased a Tunze Turbelle from a store near Toronto, where I live.

Before the warranty had expired, the pump stopped working, so I brought it in to the store where I had purchased it.

The store owner sent it back to Germany - that was 4 months ago. When I inquired about the pump, he told me that 'he has no control over how long it will be in Germany, and that they no longer sell Tunze products because of these problems.'

I paid over $ 500 for this pump, which I used for approx 2 months. It seems logical to me that retailers who sell equipmment should have some responsibility to the hobbyist when there is a malfunction.

Other opinions ? :
Old 08-21-2003, 02:39 PM

Wilty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Wilty Send a message via Yahoo to Wilty

I've always had good luck with companies replacing defects and returning the the broken. Just need to sweet talk a little bit. I found they will take you broken pump under the warrenty and then supply you with a replacement off the shelf. They deal directly with their distributor and you never seen that pump/equipment again.

If I were you, I would chase your pump over in germany and raise a stink. And raise a stink here with whoever sent it to germany, someone put it on a plane. People tend not to like disgruntled people making stinks
Old 08-21-2003, 03:18 PM

thanks, I think I will try and sweet talk them first, if that fails then I turn to Ugly.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:07 PM

Wilty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Wilty Send a message via Yahoo to Wilty

I do good on the sweet talkin. . . . I get free stuff all the time, but never any dates. Only seems to work in the business world lol
Old 08-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Unfair to Consumers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnut
I purchased a Tunze Turbelle from a store near Toronto, where I live.

The store owner sent it back to Germany - that was 4 months ago. When I inquired about the pump, he told me that 'he has no control over how long it will be in Germany, and that they no longer sell Tunze products because of these problems.'

Other opinions ? :
Roger Vitko handles all North American warranty on the Tunze products. He is based in Texas and has an awesome reputation for service. He has a sponsor forum on RC, you may want to talk to him.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:19 PM

fishnut is on a distinguished road
Default To Brad

Thanks for the great tip - I'm going to contact Roger and see what he can do to help resolve this problem.

That's what I like about these boards - hobbyists helping other hobbyists !
Old 08-21-2003, 10:27 PM

well I finally contacted a guy in oregon. he told me that something hard must have been sucked into the pump and therefore the fins on the impeller would have blown apart. Unfortunately, that is not covered under warrantee. however, he ended up sending me an impeller assembly for free