Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default C for clam; c for confusion

Clams have always confused me BIG TIME! Some say they are easy to keep, some say they are hard to keep, some say they need pristine water while I found that clams sucks up nitrate. Few days ago, I came to know that they can move :S

Now I have a very tight spot in my tank for a clam since I have always wanted one. But this movement can be a big issue!

So can anyone illuminate on this clam moving around issue? Is there any clam that has the reputation of moving lesser than others? Lighting shouldn't be any issue since I will be getting a quad T5HO fixture soon (on its way from USA).

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Any clam will move to try and get a spot that most suits it. Not a lot you can do about it. Forcing it to be somewhere it doesn't want to be probably isn't good for it long term. Mine picked a nice shaded spot, go figure
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Any clam will move to try and get a spot that most suits it. Not a lot you can do about it. Forcing it to be somewhere it doesn't want to be probably isn't good for it long term. Mine picked a nice shaded spot, go figure
I am guessing my hope for clam is destroyed

Do they move a lot like anemone or just few inches to find the sweet spot?

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM

somewherebeyondthesea is on a distinguished road

I have a little Crocea clam (note* supposedly rock dwelling) continued to move itself onto the sandbed no matter what I tried! (I even built a little rock fence to prop him up!) The clam ended up taking in huge amounts of water and propelled itself back down to the sandbed.

It has however stayed put once it finished moving...kinda reminds me of an unhappy anemone really. Very beautiful to have!

Clams also get food from filtering water, so I personally believe they need to have some food in the water, but nitrates and phosphates are not the only thing that feeds clams IMO.I figure that's where the confusion from dirty or clean water comes from. I put a little bit of Reef Roids and Marine Snow in my tank immediately after a water change (note I do weekly water changes with RO/DI Type 1 water), and all my params are 0.0ppm NH3,PO4,NO3 ect.

My clam seems to be happy with moderate flow and only gets pestered by the odd hermit crab climbing on top of it.

I unfortunately do not know too much about Maximas, Derasas, and Squamosas, other than that they prefer sand bottoms and can get very large.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Well, they won't float around into your pumps like anemones, but I guess they could go quite a ways if they wanted to. Mine only moved a few inches though.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

I have tried 4 clams and now refuse to kill another one. Not to mention I fear what my Picasso trigger may do to it. They seem to do well at first then they close up and die or I drop a rock on them (only happened once I was very perplexed)

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

Mine have probably only move a total of about 4 inches combined for the two of them.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM

AquaPin is on a distinguished road

I have a crocea and it adjusted itself a few degrees on the rock that I placed it on. If I adjust it, the next day it has twisted back to the angle it wants...other than that, it has not moved at all. It is about mid tank under T5s and has been in the tank now for roughly 6 months...

Jason
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i gave my copperband a squamosa for food.....it hasnt touched it and the clam looks great......im looking for an ultra maxima next to see if he would rather that instead.....my cbb is a good fish and deserves the best
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

My Maximas move in circles throughout the day. Like a disco ball

But yet my crocea stays put